Possible move to Montana on the horizon

hello all. I might be possibly moving to Bozeman as soon as December. I love the Bozeman area for its natural beauty and abundance of big game, but what are its bird hunting prospects? Specifically pheasants?

it's all still very much up in the air, but I figure do the research now so I don't worry about it later.

Thanks!

I lived in Bozeman for about five years and I guess it depends what kind of birds you are wanting to hunt there are some pheasants around, mostly on private and very very small numbers compared to what you are used to in ND. I would suggest traveling to some different areas of Montana to bird hunt but Bozeman is a great area for everything else. I just got the new pup home last night but get ahold of me in the next couple weeks and we will make a plan to hook up for a hunt, gonna try I get out with the big dogs in the next few days and see what we can turn up.

I may be making the same move in a few months as well. I've hunted birds all around that area, and there are some great bird hunting opportunities, you just have to scout hard, and be able to work hard. Grouse, huns, and pheasants are all in the region.

lived in Bozeman for 36 years. Lots to do here, outdoor and culture-wise. Yes there is great mountain grouse hunting locally, and hun / sharptail available with in a short drive, access can be hard !
Pheasants access is VERY limited locally, most guys around here drive north, and east!
GREAT PLACE to live that said!

A little off subject but , I saw my first ever wild pheasant just outside of Bozeman when I was out there fishing. Awesome area!!

My wife and I moved to Bozeman in March and are really enjoying it. There are countless outdoor activities, all withing a reasonable drive.

I am excited to hunt birds in Montana this season and have already started scouting for the upcoming season.

We are also looking to make a move West! We will be checking out the great state of MT the second half of July traveling in our 5th wheel. We would enjoy meeting some forum members on the way. We will be making a big loop through the state, so if you would like to get together for a visit and share some info we would appreciate it. Thx. Nick

well if in town would be happy to have a cup of coffee , I travel as a salesman.... so would need some planning.... Montana has a lot to offer , but it can be pricey place to relocate too!

Bozeman Pheasant

I'm considering a move from Eastern WA to the greater Bozeman area. I'll be giving up decent quail hunting, but that's ok if the pheasant hunting is an improvement.

Please tell me it will be!

Hey Nick, I'm from GR too. Living in WA though for now. Maybe Bozeman area after we sell the house. Do we know each other? I left Grand Rapids around 1998 when I was about 21....

Montana pheasant hunting

hi along highway 2 from Shelbly to N. Dakota has pheasants habitat along riparian areas.
The area North , East, from Great falls also has Pheasant hunting, usually associated with crop lands, or riparian river belts... Along the Yellowstone and Missouri river corridors again you can find birds...
Access Available thru WMA's and, the Montana block management program...
knocking on doors will take longer ,but likely get you less pressure... most landowners who have lots of pheasants have friend and relatives coming the first week or two.. so they SAVE those time slots.. or those landholdings may be leased by outfitters.

good luck! sincerely

Back