poor handling and shot

#1, the bird was planted. You can see the footprints leading up there. The poor dog has to flush a yardbird in deep snow and then the dude misses it. I think they are in Europe.

It looked to me, the dog knew more about hunting pheasant than the hunter. The dog was confused by him and waiting for him to do his part of the equation.............Bob

As far as I am concerned posting such a video should be cause for automatic expulsion from the forum. If that is what pheasant hunting was like I think I would stay home and watch football. :(

Pen birds:eek: What a difference compared to the wild ones.

Hey pointer guys.......what's the deal with the dog and the handler? Fill me in on what's wrong if you don't mind. I have no idea what the problem is? Thanks:) --1pheas4

Last edited:
Yeah, no doubt we've got it really good here in the U.S. FC.

My grandfather and I were talking about mess were dealing with here in the US now. He narrowly escaped with his and his family's life from that bastard of a man Stalin, back in the USSR days. He always told me "we're still not Communist Russia". We've still got it good. Well worth fighting for. --1pheas4

One plus for them is they can, I beleive it is still allowed anyway, trap raptors and shoot ground predators with silencers

That may have a good deal to do with pheasants roosting in trees and not on the ground over there. --1pheas4

I watched a show last night on the Pursuit Channel I think, what a terrible excuse for pheasant hunting! The had a bunch of pointers that just broke on birds to flush without being commanded, and they showed off pen raised birds as fine specimens... they didn't hold a candle to a nice wild rooster. Sad that that guy got paid to shoot 200 birds......

The dog is on point, you should walk in wide of the dog. Where the dog can see you, find and Flush the bird for it. The dog will usually tell you all it can where the bird exactly is. The dog also was showing signs of not knowing what the hunter was telling it to do.........Bob

The dog is on point, you should walk in wide of the dog. Where the dog can see you, find and Flush the bird for it. The dog will usually tell you all it can where the bird exactly is. The dog also was showing signs of not knowing what the hunter was telling it to do.........Bob

Bob
You are the type of guy I would like to hunt with. I agree 100%
I wonder if the guy thought he was hunting with a Springer instead of a Setter and couldn't figure out why the dog would not flush the bird?

Pen birds:eek: What a difference compared to the wild ones.

Hey pointer guys.......what's the deal with the dog and the handler? Fill me in on what's wrong if you don't mind. I have no idea what the problem is? Thanks:) --1pheas4

FC or Bob, can you fill me in on this or school me:D. I'm currious. --1pheas4

P.S.--FC I know your not a pointer guy by the way.

FC or Bob, can you fill me in on this or school me:D. I'm currious. --1pheas4

P.S.--FC I know your not a pointer guy by the way.

Read Post # 10 from Bob? is this what your looking for?
The pointing breeds are normally not used to flush birds they are to find birds and hold point till released by the handler or (steady to wing and shot) then the dog can run to fetch the bird.

Yes, goldern is right, my post #10 here did cover some of it. The biggest mistake the guy made was walking up directly behind the dog and coming along side. With a pointer that is a big NO-No. It causes the dog to get unsteady and nervous. If you go wide so the dog can see you approaching the bird. They concentrate on you and then get more into getting more commands. Mine will reset on command if the bird has moved and things like that...Bob

Ah! okay. Sorry to make you explain it twice:eek: I know very little of the pointer world and how dogs should work. Thanks for explaining filling me in:)

--1pheas4

Last edited:
Well that took care of ya. As far as the bird goes, you also have to look at the conditions. The Bird had to take off from fluffy snow. They jump to get up. And when they do there feet just sink and they get no lift. Seen it many times. Also Most times we have wind which helps get them going fast. Now you look at the suroundings, and that is heavy pine/spruce. I doubt there is any wind. No drifting in the snow either. So now you have no wind, deep fluffy snow, and the bird has to go up to get over tall trees. Makes for a poor flush and slow out of the gate bird. In other situations this bird would have looked very different. There is just not that big of a differance, yea some. Good healthy birds with a flight pen can get there keaster moving too. It depends allot on who raises them.I don't know what the heck he was doing. Making a video of his first dog maybe. He best shoot better or they may result to eating that poor dog.:D

Back