Pointing lab puppy?

Deweybagger

My lab puppy is pointing everything from our cats, tweety birds, training bumpers.....
My question is if we want to maximize his pointing for upland game I've heard that you don't want pointing dogs to catch birds/dummy's because they will start breaking point thinking they can catch the object.
We also want him for waterfowl, he's been retrieving on land and water.....
Here's where I'm stumped, sometimes when I send him on a mark retrieve he runs out and locks on point, I can walk out and kick the dummy if I want or pick it up. I'm lost as to what is right or how to teach him the difference. I want both and don't want to wreck his strong instinct.

What are your thoughts on how to handle this situation?
He's returning to where I got him for training when he's 6 months (end of July)
So that's plenty of time for me to screw something up!

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks

You can always force fetch later. But I would keep the bumpers to a minimum.2,3,4 retrieves and then put them up. Always leave him wanting more.
Extend it from there.

but but but....he's a retriever! He shouldnt be pointing anything!!:D

Man that was my thoughts exactly:D. Sometimes when we get dogs we tend to get wrapped up in the fact that somehow we are going to screw the dog up. Short of making him gun shy by overexposing him, or overuse of a shock collar, what you are doing is not going to screw him up. I would agree with BDC2, that less is more. The trainer will get him moving in the right direction, then you can work with the basics he teaches.

Training at 6 month's...you didn't mention what training the dog will receive.

Has the dog been introduced to the gun? If not, he'll receive that experience at the training in July.

Work with your trainer and don't expect perfection from a young dog. If this is your first hunting dog, I suggest buying a good book on bird dog training - they are very helpful.

Good Luck!

Training at 6 month's...you didn't mention what training the dog will receive.

Has the dog been introduced to the gun? If not, he'll receive that experience at the training in July.

Work with your trainer and don't expect perfection from a young dog. If this is your first hunting dog, I suggest buying a good book on bird dog training - they are very helpful.

Good Luck!

Bird and gun intro first, he has been to the trap range a lot with no problems. we'll be back for obedience after the bird intro.
He's very advanced for his age it seem comparing to all my dogs ive had in the past.he heals, sits, stays, will place on about anything you tell him, retrieves on land and water, dives/sticks his head under water for objects.

No shock collar, but very treat motivated. Training is always short and fun

He has a lot of MPR in his lines and its showing, I'm just wondering about when he goes to retreiver and then goes on point.....

I would suggest Julie Knudsens book "Training the Pointing Lab". If your on FB, there is also "Training the Pointing Lab" page and you can watch as she documents the training of her new puppy.

Back