Pointing Lab NW KS

Uplander

I hunted NW KS 1/23-1/26. Took my 5 y/o black lab and my new 4 m/o chocolate (my blacks son). Wierd thing happened to me that have never experienced. I live and hunt Montana and only flush and chase. My black male while in KS this time started pointing both quail and pheasant. At first I couldnt figure out what the h he was doing. I mean he would lock up and wait for me till I told him ok. I never did any training whatsoever. Did very good on this hunt quail and pheas. and came back w a pointer. Even my pup retrieved a few quail and tried to drag a cock back to me by the neck. I feel very lucky. I'll post a pic later.

Look forward to seeing the pics. I have an 11 yr old black lab female. When I bought her they told me she came from pointing lab bloodlines. I never trained her to point. When she was younger she didn't really point. As she got a little older she really started to lock on to birds like you are talking about.

sounds like what my black is doing. never before. 2nd day nw ks we jumped covey quail one landed near me in small brushy draw. i went closer to spot so tarzan (black lab) would root out > he came near me got birdy and stopped and looked at me > i signaled him to hunt around but he wouldnt move and kept looking at me while his nose was pointing down > second or 2 later single flushedabout 3 ft from his nose > missed. next field he did same and my hunt buddy said he wont go so he walked over to him and cock jumped up > got him. after that he locked up on anything that would hold. a definate hunting advantage > u can really get ready for the flush. Tarzan is 5 yr this summer. FANTASTIC!!! thanks for reply. are u working on ur dogs point skills now if so what are u doing.

my lab started doing the same thing at about 5 yrs old. mainly on quail, but would stop and lock up real rigid tail straight out. Would not break until either flush or shot. Very weird. Unfortunately i had to put him down this year after he had a second stroke.

Very sorry to hear about ur loss. Once I lost a beautiful black lab (Barney). was hunting near rr tracks and train killed him. horrible sight. took me a year to get over it. I know the engineer saw him but nothing he could do. I felt real bad for him too. will never hunt that area again and its dynamite for partridge and cocks.:(

Not that uncommon

My previous choc. lab was a backyard bred purebred, but to my knowledge no pointing background in the parents. He pointed once at age 1, and more and more each year. Unfortunately, I had to put him down last year at age 10 after he twisted his stomach. I have told 'pointer' owner this and they all respond with "well maybe he stopped for a secord or two", bs! He would lock up like you talked about, in fact sometimes I would watch for 30 seconds or more or walk around looking for the best shot. Roosters, chukars, huns, and quail pointed them all during his career. I saw my hunting partners black lab lock up solid on a hun this fall. Some folks don't like labs that point, I have no problem with it. Hope it continues for you. :)

hey citori, thnks for reply. i agree. he waits for me till i tell him to "get em".
i can understand why some dont like but i like. where i hunt in mt the brush is impenatrable xecept for dog>if he points where i cant see him then that could be a problem. dont exactly know what ill do in that scenario. in ks its wide open>even in thick cover u can usually see inside but not mt. in mt my strategy is to kind of corral and send my dog in to root em out, if i can maintain control of my lab which is difficult unless i use an e-collar. when i remember to put it on him he automatically turns himself down a couple of notches w/o actually using it. how did ur dog get twisted stomach? heard of it and allways have been concerned even for my elk hunting horses. where in mt u from?

Back