Pointer Gear

I have recently opened a Hunting Dog store (online only for now) - I am a Flusher Guy - always had Labs and Now Springers - we have a lot of stuff for pointing dogs but I really dont know what is essential? What is the things you guys have to have for your dogs when training or hunting? Do most of you use tracking collars? If you do what is important things that it needs to do?

Appreciate any help here trying to push my knowledge so I can better help others and lets face it be a better salesman:D

Take Care
Brian

For me the Garmin Astro is very important. Launcher for training. Check Cords Ecollars.

Good luck,

Call me a Luddite, but I use a bell and an ecollar. No tracking devices for me. The bell forces you to keep track of your dog at all times -- by keeping your head up, your eyes toward the bell, not looking down at a device in your hand.

Call me a Luddite, but I use a bell and an ecollar. No tracking devices for me. The bell forces you to keep track of your dog at all times -- by keeping your head up, your eyes toward the bell, not looking down at a device in your hand.

I sure don't look at the Garmin that often, I am trying to watch the dogs.
But when you get a beep and the dog is well out of sight, a Garmin is a big plus.

I don't know anyone that has a Garmin and a dog that hunts at a fair range in good cover, that doesn't see the value.

Interesting conversation - imagine long before GPS the Bell was advancd technology - these days it still works as well as ever - I had a GSP for a couple of years until he chase a raccon into traffic one night after busting out of his kennel - There were times when that dog worked far enough that I dont think a bell would have done the trick - and once on point the bell wouldnt have helped - I never used a Trackng collar - didnt even know they made them back then. We have the Garmin and a few other tracking collars - sounds like the rest of the items are basic training tools -
Any of you use a combination tracking/training collar? We have those but they dont sell as well as either the tracking or the e-collars by themselves.

Brian
AmericanHuntingDog

Whether it be a bell, check cord, dog bowl or whatever....we all likely have preferences apart from each other.
A bell, a good and treasured bell, can represent more than immediate dog location. It can repesent tradition and past dogs and even can be a memory-primer.
A check cord for training, for me, is different than a check cord on a hunting trip...there, I prefer the flat, synthetic over the standard stiff cord because it absorbs no moisture or grit and remains pliable in the cold. For some that would make no never mind tho.
I far and away prefer a rubber dog bowl over stainless on a hunting trip...much quieter and a dog can even lay on them in a crate to a degree....but the quiet is the big appeal.
Point being...product sales are never truely satisfied by a generalized catagory item.
Your best step would be to run a pointing dog in your rotation to tune into the niches hunters love to fill.

Re the so-termed "tracking collars".
As has been discussed ad nauseum, especially Astros, the positives they deliver far surpass "tracking"....and the negatives are primarily in the mind of those who do not run them, for one reason or tother.
Combo collars are popular now.....kinda appeals to that element of human nature where multi-use seems a good thing. I prefer a seperate collar for a Garmin or an e-collar or a beeper......multi-use equipment is pretty rugged but...nice to keep the eggs rolling around more than one basket.
I will say that the e-collars with a locater appear a good deal but as I almost never run an e-collar on my 3 setters, I will likely never find out if the Internet plusses trumpeted regarding them really exist.

Thornton
AnyOldDog

Last edited:
one thing i buy for sure once ayear is a collar i like lots of different colors stock plenty of orange, different lengths and one more important thing is the name tags with the rivots

:10sign:

Also, keeping track of the bell is sort of like watching your bobber while fishing. When that noise stops the excitement kicks up.

Back