Plots

thornton

Curious if there are any mail order outlets for a PLOTS book, or any source short of in-state pick-up.
Thanks

I believe you can find and download from the state wildlife commission. I am sure a call would suffice to have them mail one out! Good Luck. You are aware that the plot grounds are not open to out of staters for some time after the season starts? But North Dakota has a program which allows certain states within the compact resident license fees , Missouri is one of those. There are several others.

I saw they are available on-line but I am limited in patience and ability in that arena.... a call to the state found them unwillingly to ship.

I did hear there were requirements but have not checked further.

Thanks.

virtally all the license vendors stock them, perhaps you could ask runnings? OR Scheels to mail you one with a purchase?

Last year I called and was put on the 2012 list to get one when it came out. She then mailed me the 2011 one. I some how misplaced the 2012 book and sent an email asking for another one. I got a rude response being told they were gone. I told the responder I doubted it and would have trouble planning a trip by the time the 2013 book came out (I didn't think about the online map at the time) I got no response. So we planned a SD trip instead. We're now thinking about a December trip to Western ND so I'm going to try a call this time.

bummer i am planing a ND trip now & plan on calling the ND game and fish to try to get on the list to get a plots map atlas hope all goes well!!!???

i know MT game & fish was the same way with the BMA maps info very rude & un-willing to ship/mail any maps to me in minnesota!!! i would of had to stop by the HQ & pick up the maps in person??? what B/S i live in MN & it would add major driving hours to my trip so i skipped MT for turkey hunting that yr & upland this yr... i dont understand why they cant mail a NON resident a map of the area he plans to hunt we are spending 3-4 times the $$$ as the resident hunters that already know the areas & have access to the maps we non residents dont...???

NE KS MN FL OK SD WI IL & im sure many more have great public relations people working for there game & fish offices & know how to treat non res hunters on the phone & via e-mail that inquire about public land hunting witch brings in ample $$$ to there state...

i dont know if its the out west way? or what but WY MT CO TX & i guess ND need work on there people skills & ship n public land maps to there non resident hunters... i have had very rude encounters with biologist & office workers i was trying to get maps or general game info from in WY MT SD?

for all you veteran ND hunters is there a certain map a newbie upland bird hunters to the state of ND should have other then the PLOTS map when i head west to ND in oct.??? like in MT i guess a BLM is handy ETC. i understand a PLOT map would be great but there like 30.00 $$$ & only for certain countys & i like to hop around...

also whats this compact resident license stuff about??? im lost??? i live in MN much closer then MISSOURI to ND would i be able to get that license???

what is the license good for??? would i be able to hunt the PLOTS & STATE LANDS come the ND opener like the ND residents???

its only 7 days we non residents have to wait to hunt them state lands but it allows the public land areas to get hit real hard twice on back to back WK-ENDs in my eyes so there will be like 2 opening days on them public land areas that kinda sucks... & i assume makes it kinda crowded on the STATE lands? with all the NON RESIDENT hunters flocking to the same PLOTS LANDS for the 2nd 7 days of the season...

think ill head back out after the ND deer rifle season & try a late season hunt for my 2nd 7 day hunt??? more lands open up at that time & way less hunters my fav time to hunt... they have almost a 3rd opener late season...

I have to say the lady I spoke to in the ND office was very nice when she advised they did not mail out the PLOTS book.
I would guess she, they get many inquiries every year and that request must get a mite old....especially, if they receive much grief over the non-mailing in return.
Be nice to have info in hand prior to considering going to any state but...the world will likely continue to spin, irregardless.

The non-resident delay in opening days seems fine.
I never cared for opening days, anyway.
Good dogs and a bit of good luck works throughout the season.

for all you veteran ND hunters is there a certain map a newbie upland bird hunters to the state of ND should have other then the PLOTS map when i head west to ND in oct.??? like in MT i guess a BLM is handy ETC. i understand a PLOT map would be great but there like 30.00 $$$ & only for certain countys & i like to hop around...

also whats this compact resident license stuff about??? im lost??? i live in MN much closer then MISSOURI to ND would i be able to get that license???

what is the license good for??? would i be able to hunt the PLOTS & STATE LANDS come the ND opener like the ND residents???

its only 7 days we non residents have to wait to hunt them state lands but it allows the public land areas to get hit real hard twice on back to back WK-ENDs in my eyes so there will be like 2 opening days on them public land areas that kinda sucks... & i assume makes it kinda crowded on the STATE lands? with all the NON RESIDENT hunters flocking to the same PLOTS LANDS for the 2nd 7 days of the season...

think ill head back out after the ND deer rifle season & try a late season hunt for my 2nd 7 day hunt??? more lands open up at that time & way less hunters my fav time to hunt... they have almost a 3rd opener late season...

It depends upon a reciprocal agreement between several states, I have no idea if Minnesota is a party. I sure get to pay full price for my fishing license in Minnesota! Not all permits are eligible, You still have to go by the rules, and requirements season wise, so there is no advantage there. It allowed me to buy upland permits for my kids, and North Dakota residents can come to Missouri and get resident fee for a non-resident permit from us for deer and turkey, etc. So it's not a resident permit, it is based upon the fee required. I got the information from the Department of Wildlife web sight. I would try there.

Most of the bars / cafes in the small towns in nd usually have a small pile of the plots maps available. Non residents can't hunt any species on plots during the opening week of pheasant season.Im usually there hunting sharpies the same week as the opening saturday of pheasant so once it starts we can't grouse hunt on plots. We see lots of pheasants on plots when it isn't open.....figures.

Thornton

Thornton,
I started planning my first trip to ND about 2 months ago. I have found the state NDGF website to be very helpful in regards to plots , game and fish and wha lands. Here is a tip for you , it worked extremely well for me. Do some research , call some Pheasants Forever ans ND state biologists, they will give you the history of bird numbers by region and are very friendly. Once you choose your target area call a local motel that caters to bird hunters. They will give you the number to the local county seat. Call the county seat and order a platte map book ($35 ) which lists the landowners and their numbers (she also mailed me a plots book ). Call some farmers and get permission to hunt their ground. In less than 2 weeks I gained permission to hunt so much private ground that I won't be able to cover half of it the week I am there. Also, choose an area with lesser numbers of birds than the top producing counties. You don't have to flush 500 birds from a field to have a good hunt, plenty of birds in the surrounding counties away from SW SC ND.
Good luck and I hope I haven't pissed off the local ND boys with the tips.

Many thanks...I normally buy Plat map books and had not thought of that local source for a PLOTS book.

Good luck back at you....my dogs especially thank you.

After my rude response vie email with responder saying they were out of the 2012 map books I called. I got a very nice helpful woman who put me on the 2013 list and promptly mailed out the 2012 book

thats good news i couldnt beleave that the ND game & fish dosent mail out PLOTS ATLAS MAPs ???

ill be calling for mine monday & the hunter package i assume...

Yep, now they will mail.
I expect that enough more folks have called for the information that the state decided to initiate mailings.
Which likely means that ND, from the drought, et al elsewhere, will see a large influx of NR hunters in 2013.
ND will boom beyond the Bakken.

to be honest i think they just didnt have the 2013 PLOTS maps available & thought most guys calling wanted that & they said we dont have em or will not mail them refer n to the 2012 plots atlas witch would off been outdated & useless for us this season???

when i called the SD game & fish this last spring for a atlas they lady told me the same thing we cant mail you the atlas yet we dont have em i said dont you have a old atlas she said yes but they are not valid this fall i said ok but i need it for this spring she said we dont have any? i tried to request 1 on-line & they said you have to wait till 2013??? i then recalled them as i never got my info i requested & went through the same thing the lady finely said ill send you 1 but its not valid well it was valid through this last spring turkey season in SD so???

i hope that was the case??? MT still wont mail you maps general maps maybe but the BMA maps u have to pick up in person at least u did the last 2 yrs???

Back