Plans for 2016

Byrdoglvr

Well were almost to August. I've booked three trips so far. For SD opener a buddy and I are staying in Watertown but with the noon start we're going to wander West out towards Redfield. Basically a scouting trip. Never been to this neck of the woods. The following weekend in Marshall. Been a few years. Two weeks later back to SD, in the Bowdle area for a week with a group of six of us. Deer hunting in Wisconsin the following weekend then hope to hunt Western MN every weekend in December provided things are frozen. My wife is awesome! Probably not a lot of visitors to the site this time of year but hopefully a couple of you will join in.

Scott

Sounds like you'll have a good fall!

With a new baby and a regional change I will spend more time chasing ruffed grouse, woodcock, and the occasional waterfowl this fall, but I'm hoping to spend a long weekend with my dogs and a buddy in SW MN to get my long-tail fix for the year.

Well were almost to August. I've booked three trips so far. For SD opener a buddy and I are staying in Watertown but with the noon start we're going to wander West out towards Redfield. Basically a scouting trip. Never been to this neck of the woods. The following weekend in Marshall. Been a few years. Two weeks later back to SD, in the Bowdle area for a week with a group of six of us. Deer hunting in Wisconsin the following weekend then hope to hunt Western MN every weekend in December provided things are frozen. My wife is awesome! Probably not a lot of visitors to the site this time of year but hopefully a couple of you will join in.

Scott

You must like them crowded opening day hunts? J/k Watertown SD & Marshall MN on openers gonna be a madhouse lol. I'd say head east from Watertown or keep going past redfield SD that will be as bad or worse then Watertown hunter #s wise? But u will still get birds I'm sure...

For me same old stuff September MN prairie grouse & ruffed grouse hunts then MN pheasant opener till monday in SW MN not sure when I will hit up Iowa I turkey hunted there this spring so got a pheasant hunting license 2 use there plus a buddy with house in IA best pheasant area plus Hun's around there also will hunt IA a few times...

Got a 2nd WK of Nov SD pheasant trip planned or planning will probably go out to SD b4 Nov ? Should hit SD up 3-4 times again this year... Will be lots of Dec MN hunts... Plus a January trip to Nebraska to kill pheasant & quail...

I don't deer hunt anymore but do help my dad & put food plot in on my land for archery deer hunts.

I'm trying to shoot all the MN grouse this season all in 1 season I've bagged 3 in 1 year twice never all 4 that a goal this year I gonna try to kill em all in same trip 3-4 if I draw a chicken tag again

Last edited:
No I hate crowded opening day hunts. It actually gives me anxiety. Redfield trip is more of a scouting get out of the house type trip. Probably do more driving then walking. For our week long trip to SD in November we go to the North central area to basically see no other hunters. Sure bird numbers are lower but we do okay and have a stressless vacation. My trip to Marshall is the second weekend. I decided to head there because I haven't been there for about five years and I will be retiring my ten year old lab after this season. She's been by far the best dog out of the 9 I've had. So more of a trip down memory lane for me. I have a deposit down on a pick of the litter yellow female lab reserved for next Spring. Pretty excited as it's been quite a while since I've had a new puppy.

No I hate crowded opening day hunts. It actually gives me anxiety. Redfield trip is more of a scouting get out of the house type trip. Probably do more driving then walking. For our week long trip to SD in November we go to the North central area to basically see no other hunters. Sure bird numbers are lower but we do okay and have a stressless vacation. My trip to Marshall is the second weekend. I decided to head there because I haven't been there for about five years and I will be retiring my ten year old lab after this season. She's been by far the best dog out of the 9 I've had. So more of a trip down memory lane for me. I have a deposit down on a pick of the litter yellow female lab reserved for next Spring. Pretty excited as it's been quite a while since I've had a new puppy.

I'm with you i hate the dumb rude hunter routine I encounter on opening days everybody seems to forget the treat people the way you would want to be treated golden rule on opener???

I have not hunted Marshall MN in about 5-6 years as well maybe more just got to hectic plus built a new hotel in another town & I never maid it back... Very bitter sweet on the going back for last trip with ur dog I wish u the best on the trip...

Redfield is good lil town I stop by there when in the area there are some cool pheasant hunting t-shirts in the gas stations as u get on the main drag worth the price unique wording to say the least... U will probably shoot ur limit road hunting aka scouting the redfield area u will find birds & habitat ...

Its almost 90 days out from our Nov SD hunt I can almost reserve our lodging once that happens the count down begins lol...

Back