Planning North Dakota pheasant hunt

PTH

Hey guys, I am trying to put together a pheasant hunt out there this fall. Sounds like access to about 9,000 acres in the southwest corner of the state right on the ND/SD border between Lemmon and Hettinger. It sounds like it could be some decent hunting, although looking at google earth much of the property looks to be prairie grassland with some creeks and draws mixed in. I was just looking for some more local information, bird numbers, any insight. I am planning the trip for 6 of us, don't want to let the group down and have it be a bust. We will be self guided with 2 decent dogs. The property manager seems to think it should be pretty good. Thanks

That is a great area of the state for pheasants. They are susceptible to weather conditions so drought and bad winter storms can take its toll on bird numbers. Look for water and food and you should do fine. If the Cannonball river runs through the land that is a good thing because the largest populations of birds in that part of the state tend to follow the river.
(Do you need another guy with a couple of dogs?););)

Hello, well, your going to be hunting in what is considered the "Pheasant Belt" of the state. The SW is a great area, if you have land to hunt on, which you do (lucky devil!). I sincerly doubt that you'll have a bust (unless you can't shoot or there is some major weather event). Don't be fooled by google. There will be a lot of brush, dips and cranys that don't show up, you'll be suprised once your on the ground there.

We did get hit hard early this winter, but the SW got less snow than we did in my neck of the woods. There were losses, but overall the birds came out ok. The major factor will be the spring. If we get good weather, we'll have a good hatch and if the summer is not not bad, good brood numbers. Just too far ahead to really tell yet.

I don't know when your coming out, but be aware that starting Nov 10, it's our deer gun season, so you'd have to contend with deer hunters, unless that 9000 acres is all yours. Also, if your shooting a repeating shotgun, it can't hold more than 3 shells (including the one in the chamber).

I sure hope you enjoy your stay in our Great State and I hope you have a very successful and safe hunt.

Best,

Greg

Local hunter

GJW
What great info you give out on your home state.For guys like me who come from out of state once a year for pheasant hunting it's nice to get some advice
From a local hunter.
I would say if you asked some of these questions on S Dakota site you would get no answers.
Now I know why I like N Dakota better than S dakota
Thanks jim

Thanks Jim for the very kind words, they sure are appriecated! Just trying to help out fellow hunters. I sure wouldn't want them to come here and think bad of the State I love so much. Just happy to help in some small way.

Thanks again so much!

Greg

Thanks Jim for the very kind words, they sure are appriecated! Just trying to help out fellow hunters. I sure wouldn't want them to come here and think bad of the State I love so much. Just happy to help in some small way.

Thanks again so much!

Greg

thanks for your service Greg!

Man I'll say, what a great forum with a bunch of good guys. I really appreciate all the insight.

Back