"Pigeon shells"

Bob Peters

I picked up a couple boxes of these shells over the weekend because they've always piqued my curiosity. In the history of shotgunning live pigeon shooting was a really big deal and lots of money was involved. All the big ammo mfgs. had a line of pigeon shells, also called flyer loads. They were the best shells made by each respective company. Hard shot was used, most often plated, with premium components. No one was gonna shoot a janky shell with $$$$$ on the line. Everything has been done to this shell to lean towards the best possible pattern. I'm not sure what I'll do with them. Either preserve birds or grouse most likely. Maybe some early season wild pheasants and hold off on longer shots. I wish I found them in 6's, but they might not be in production anymore.

Attachments

• 20220314_091128.jpg
    20220314_091128.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
There is a thread about live pigeon shooting on upland journal…was started about 2-3 months ago…fascinating! Much had to do with some of the European countries that hosted these shoots, though some talk of US states that hosted some as well. Interesting!!!!

I went to a few shoots in Texas a few years ago, just to observe, They kept things pretty close to the vest, Lots of money involved ! Lots of casual questions as to what I was doing there. Concerned with ASPCA. Not for the squeamish!

I did alot of reading/surfing on shooting forums over the winter & covid and now & then came across something referred to as "the old pigeon load" used on the nostalgic pigeon hunts. Some even carried them across & used them on pheasant. i don't remember the specs, but if that's what your box is saying there, i guess thats it. SUPER Pigeon, i bet they came with a super price also. Report back when you use them. Per chance, did you see them in 16ga ?

I did alot of reading/surfing on shooting forums over the winter & covid and now & then came across something referred to as "the old pigeon load" used on the nostalgic pigeon hunts. Some even carried them across & used them on pheasant. i don't remember the specs, but if that's what your box is saying there, i guess thats it. SUPER Pigeon, i bet they came with a super price also. Report back when you use them. Per chance, did you see them in 16ga ?
Are you sure you weren't reading about the live pigeon shoots that eventually faded out in twenties and thirties. Those boxes may have been an acknowledgement to that tradition?

Probably 15 years ago a retriever club got the chance to clean out pigeons from a abandoned property. They got like 800 pigeons which a couple members sold for 5 a piece to a group out of Canada. Problem is that money never went to the retriever club.

Probably 15 years ago a retriever club got the chance to clean out pigeons from a abandoned property. They got like 800 pigeons which a couple members sold for 5 a piece to a group out of Canada. Problem is that money never went to the retriever club.
Come on now, you need to finish that story...who got the money?

Are you sure you weren't reading about the live pigeon shoots that eventually faded out in twenties and thirties. Those boxes may have been an acknowledgement to that tradition?
Probably so, as you say. But i do remember some others referencing it and saying they were using something similar on pheasants. "Chestle" above claims he has used the newer ones on pheasant.

They weren't too spendy for todays market and the quality of the shell, $12.99 a box. When in the initial post I referenced "Pigeon Loads", these were designed for shooting what are called "box birds" or "flyers." These are birds shot at actual competitions, in an official ring. There was big prize money and lots of gambling going on from what I've read. This is now illegal in most of Europe, but still happens in north/central/south America but it often done away from the lime light.

Come on now, you need to finish that story...who got the money?
Thought that was obvious....the couple of guys who sold the birds.
I was not involved in any way. Story was told to me by a active member in the now defunct club. He said the culprits figured the club helped the property owners and they helped the club by getting rid of the birds. That is a lot of birds to feed and clean up after. Can't let them fly at least until they nest.

Some people rationalize a little different.

I was invited to a formal "live pigeon shoot" with the ring and release boxes about 25 years ago. Invitation only. Only a few spectators allowed with known credentials. They cleaned out their pigeon pens and quit after that shoot. From the graphics and color of the box in the photo you posted, those shells were manufactured at about that time.

I picked up a couple boxes of these shells over the weekend because they've always piqued my curiosity. In the history of shotgunning live pigeon shooting was a really big deal and lots of money was involved. All the big ammo mfgs. had a line of pigeon shells, also called flyer loads. They were the best shells made by each respective company. Hard shot was used, most often plated, with premium components. No one was gonna shoot a janky shell with $$$$$ on the line. Everything has been done to this shell to lean towards the best possible pattern. I'm not sure what I'll do with them. Either preserve birds or grouse most likely. Maybe some early season wild pheasants and hold off on longer shots. I wish I found them in 6's, but they might not be in production anymore.
Bob, They pretty pricey or what?? I do a fair amount of farm wild pigeon shooting and a lot of crow smackdowns, I always shoot the cheapest shells available, anytime id see sale on trap loads 5.00 a box id buy a case or 3, hopefully prices continue to drop, and glad I still have a few cases,
shooting those crazy flying pigeons and crows keeps me on my toes, helps when Rooster season rolls along

In North Dakota, I see a lot of 7 1/2 lead shot but not much else. I wonder why that is? What are your "Threshold of Pain" for Pheasant Loads right now in our current market? Curious what you would pay for Prairie Storm if you can find it in 2 3/4 1500fps in 4, 5 or 6 shot?

In North Dakota, I see a lot of 7 1/2 lead shot but not much else. I wonder why that is? What are your "Threshold of Pain" for Pheasant Loads right now in our current market? Curious what you would pay for Prairie Storm if you can find it in 2 3/4 1500fps in 4, 5 or 6 shot?
It's around but I'll wait for price to come down.
If people are willing to and keep paying these high prices...
Guess what

If my memory is correct, Live pigeon loads were just heavy load, hard smaller shot. Not too many years ago I saw something about a live shoot in the south somewhere at a private hunt club. Protesters showed up and eventually shut it down. As far as the price of good shells go, I'm thinking seriously about buying a 16 ga. reloader!

If my memory is correct, Live pigeon loads were just heavy load, hard smaller shot. Not too many years ago I saw something about a live shoot in the south somewhere at a private hunt club. Protesters showed up and eventually shut it down. As far as the price of good shells go, I'm thinking seriously about buying a 16 ga. reloader!
If you do, the Mec sizemaster is going for $385, IF you can even find one OR the primers. I'd take the gas pipe before i pay $106/k delivered.
Why guys are paying that is beyond me...

Back