Pig wanted

Toad

Can anybody recommend a guide that offers pig hunts. I like to eat pork, and I think a pig hunt would be something fun and different to do. I'm not looking for a luxury lodge. I enjoy an adventure and getting my boots dirty.

I was thinking Oklahoma if possible... Somewhere I can get the experience within a reasonable distance, and without burning too much vacation time from work. But I would do Texas if that's where the action is.

I'm not really a shoot-em-up A-R type of guy, but I guess I would try it once if that's how it's done. In a dream scenario I would stalk one with my bow, but maybe that's not practical. I don't know much about wild hogs...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Curious to read the replies on this. I'm thinking along the same lines as you Toad. I did go on one in Texas a couple years ago and it was a joke. Won't go into it on here, but let's just say the guy stole our money. I know there's places in Oklahoma, just don't know much about them.

I would contact farm bureau if they are out there and see if they have members who are having issues with hogs and see if they can put you in contact with the farmers direct. My only experience was opportunity shooting while deer hunting in Georgia. I would suggest shooting only sows, as the boars are not that great to eat.

I've been to Chain Ranch before in OK - they have a house to stay at. You could hunt over feeders, try spot and stock, but really too many trees, or hunt in their preserve.

It was Ok - I'd try it again.

However I really like spot and stock. I'd rather find an area of the state that is similar to western ks and open/hilly terrain or scrub country - sitting in a hut by a feeder is for the birds. I have no idea how and why many deer hunters do the same thing. I like to deer hunt as well, just not that way.

Toad, one thing to avoid: One of the bosses(name withheld) went to Oklahoma to take his son on a hog hunt. At long last he spotted a hog and made an arduous stalk on the animal. Finally within range with his young son, he rose and fired at the unaware hog. Proudly he approached to claim his prize with his son by his side only to find that the hog was.........hog tied! Seems the rancher had hired dog men to catch some hogs to sell to other ranches and the truck was due to pick this one up!

Toad, one thing to avoid: One of the bosses(name withheld) went to Oklahoma to take his son on a hog hunt. At long last he spotted a hog and made an arduous stalk on the animal. Finally within range with his young son, he rose and fired at the unaware hog. Proudly he approached to claim his prize with his son by his side only to find that the hog was.........hog tied! Seems the rancher had hired dog men to catch some hogs to sell to other ranches and the truck was due to pick this one up!

That is epic Troy!

Uh...you might also make very sure of what they considering "hunting."

There's folks down there who use ballistic vested hog dogs to immobilize the hogs and then go in with a big honkin' knife and stab them to death.

That's a little too intimate for me. :)

Have fun, be safe.

That's crazy. I imagine there was an awkward conversation between the two parties. :laugh: Unfortunately, I would guess both of them left disappointed.

Yes, I would rather just buy ham and bacon than go shoot a tied up pig. :laugh:

Uh...you might also make very sure of what they considering "hunting."

There's folks down there who use ballistic vested hog dogs to immobilize the hogs and then go in with a big honkin' knife and stab them to death.

That's a little too intimate for me. :)

Have fun, be safe.

I have a friend who went to a high fence place. After getting his hog, the owner of the place said, "you wanna see how we get the hogs?" It was what you describe. Pit bulls with Kevlar... They would hog tie and transport some, and kill the ones that were too dangerous to wrangle. His description of it pretty graphic. He said they offered to let him knife one, but he declined.

I think bowhunting is as intimate as I care to get. I'm not bashing on anybody else though. Obviously the hogs are very destructive, dangerous, and need to be managed. Tracking them down with pits and stabbing them sounds like a dirty job, certainly not one I would pay to do.

I have a friend who went to a high fence place. After getting his hog, the owner of the place said, "you wanna see how we get the hogs?" It was what you describe. Pit bulls with Kevlar... They would hog tie and transport some, and kill the ones that were too dangerous to wrangle. His description of it pretty graphic. He said they offered to let him knife one, but he declined.

I think bowhunting is as intimate as I care to get. I'm not bashing on anybody else though. Obviously the hogs are very destructive, dangerous, and need to be managed. Tracking them down with pits and stabbing them sounds like a dirty job, certainly not one I would pay to do.

It's interesting if you look the subject up on Youtube. About as far as I could ever see myself participating is having the dogs chase the pig down, then finishing it with a gun. I'd end up stabbing myself or a dog with the knife.

I had a friend who was like a grandfather to me, he wintered in Georgia. He and his friends like to create their own adult beverage, he called it "sneaky pete". One spring I took him fishing and notice a nasty scar on his bicep and asked what happen. He told me they were hog hunting with dogs and it was his turn to slit the throat. Unfortunately, he had a little to much "sneaky pete" and the boar got him before he got the boar. I should add he was in his mid to late 80's when this happen and riddle with arthritis. He was very lucky. The place he talked about was called Skull Orchard, Georgia. I will have to say the "sneaky pete" they made was darn good.

They do the same thing in southern missouri. But they hunt with dogs and use knives. I dont know how much longer that will be kosher though. I think in the winter meetings MDC is making hunting feral hogs illegal. I think you have to get a special permit now. Ive been though. Horseback with dogs in the big woods down by west plains. It was a few years ago.

They do the same thing in southern missouri. But they hunt with dogs and use knives. I dont know how much longer that will be kosher though. I think in the winter meetings MDC is making hunting feral hogs illegal. I think you have to get a special permit now. Ive been though. Horseback with dogs in the big woods down by west plains. It was a few years ago.

I don't know the exact date it happened, but it is illegal in KS as well. Supposedly the rules were changed to discourage people from releasing hogs to be hunted. Now only the landowner can shoot them, or someone with a special permit from USDA, I think. Before that I think you could shoot as many as you wanted with no permit or tag, because they were considered a feral nuisance species. But I've never seen one on the hoof in KS anyway.

Ive never seen one in Kansas or Missouri. And I looked it up, MDC was proposing banning hog hunting on any MDC governed land. I dont know if that means Mark Twain National Forest ground too or what because thats where they hunt them in the Southern part of the state. Thousands of these acres. Apparently, MDC was putting out multiple hog traps baited to catch whole sounders at a time. People would find these traps, hunt next to them and pop a couple of pigs as they came in. Spoiling catching the whole sounder in the trap. But one can still hunt them on private land. You can still hunt them on conservation areas at the moment. It wasnt made a law, it was just proposed in the meeting on January 22nd.

Back