Phillips/Sedgwick 11/30

cedahm

Well, good and bad today. Unlike jtaylor2's experience in Yuma with tight-holding birds, we had the complete opposite up north. On the bright side, we saw more pheasants today than I think I've ever seen in a single day in CO before. On the bad side, they were mostly busting wild WAY ahead of us. Should have had 4, but we missed 2 easy shots and 2 makeable, albeit lengthy ones. Complete operator error and a stiff reminder that my partner and I need some time on the clays course ASAP! 3 of these were on roosters that had initially allowed us to walk past them and then were there on our loop back, let us nearly get past them again and came up behind us only after the pup did a fish-hook. Definitely in "late-season" mode, these roosters. 1 - I must say, was just a flat out whiff with both barrels from my buddy @ a big dude flying into the wind that got up at his feet.

There really is a nice crop of birds this year. Dawn and dusk we saw roosters just swarming into (mostly private) corn fields. Out of 10-ish WIA fields, only 1 failed to produce a flush. Standard formula - edges of CRP next to corn early and late, and deep in the thickest crap you can find through mid-day.

One WIA - last of the day, we got 1/4 mile in, and 1/4 mile away, about 150 birds got up in waves and waves. Awesome sight for Colorado! (would have been more awesome if they were 30 yards out, but oh well).

The best part - only saw 2 other groups all day. The fields are there for the diehards, now!

This sounds great!

Colorado has truly surprised me for its upland qualities... I've hunted ND, MN, SD on a fairly regular basis, and I know good bird hunting. CO has some fine offerings and the WIA- program is an absolute success.

I just finished a BA in bio, and look forward to a masters/phd in wildlife or fisheries, (i've done a ton of fisheries work), and Colorado is truly an outstanding example of great resource management success! It gives young aspiring folks like myself something to shoot for and look forward to in a career in natural resources.

Hats of to CO DOW and the bird hunting community involved in this states transformation!

Back