Pheasant Survey

BirdDoggin

I believe the Pheasant Survey is to be posted the week of September 14th. I'm optimistic the bird numbers will be up, but don't live in Iowa and don't have any real sense of conditions on the ground. What's the word from the field?

How much of an effect on the birds do you all think derecho had? I know central Iowa got hit bad with corn fields flattened.

How much of an effect on the birds do you all think derecho had? I know central Iowa got hit bad with corn fields flattened.

hard to say, but some areas likely got wiped out. you might call some of the local conservation officers who work out there.

I'm in Cedar Rapids and have had this discussion with friends. No one has seen much for dead animals from the storm. No dead squirrels (there are thousands and thousands of them), no dead birds. With as much damage as we had here, you would think there would be visible loss of wildlife. But there isn't. Duck hunting has been the same as before in the early seasons. Most of the early season ducks I'm shooting are local wood ducks. My opinion is that the population isn't affected by the storm, but it's just an opinion. I'll find out for sure in the coming weeks.

Back