Pheasant Sharptail combo

HVDK

I will be spending a couple of days in a pheasant/sharptail area in SD this fall before moving to our normal area for pheasants only . For pheasants I shoot an O/U with 5's. It was recommended that I should switch to a semiauto for the combo as the sharpies tend to flush in coveys in late October when I will be huning them. I hunt with labs and this will also be their first sharptail experience. Do you guys change guns and or loads when the opportunity for sharptails is present?

Thanks for the help,

If your going to be hunting Sharpies in late October you better be using a full choke which ever gun you'll be using.

Seriously, if you can walk up on a covey of sharps in late October you will have completely surprised them. Normally by then they have grouped up in larger numbers and are very hard to approach within gun range. Much different than hunting them in September when they are in smaller family groups and tend to hold nice for dogs.

I don't think it really matters which gun you select. Pick the one that you shoot the best or are most comfortable with and enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
Back