Pheasant Hunting the Gallatin Valley

Lsurma

Hey Everyone,

Although I love the drive to Canyon Ferry, there HAS to be pheasant hunting closer to Bozeman. My setter and I would love to be able to get out after class but there doesn't seem to be any good access close to town, aside from the Pheasants Forever habitat area off Springhill and the handful of fishing accesses. Is anyone willing to give a CET student a little advice on more efficient bird hunting?

Thanks,

LSurma

Although there are great pheasant numbers around the gallatin valley, there really is NO public access to these birds. The PF experimental farm up springhill is open but it gets scheduled out, and hammered! Really your only opportunity to get after local pheasants is landowner permission. Canyon Ferry, like you said, is pretty much your closest access.
You can get on huns around the valley pretty easy, they border the forest, so a lot of the local public access/state land has huns. The forests are loaded with grouse for other bird options.

Last edited:
If you're a student ask some of the professors or administration at the school if they has ground or access to ground. When I was in college i took two of my professors sons out quail hunting. They were 10 and 12. They had fun and I still have access to his farm. The kids have only gone with me one other time. I always ask if they want to go with me or if they have family that does.

If you're a student ask some of the professors or administration at the school if they has ground or access to ground. When I was in college i took two of my professors sons out quail hunting. They were 10 and 12. They had fun and I still have access to his farm. The kids have only gone with me one other time. I always ask if they want to go with me or if they have family that does.

That's the way to do it. Quite a number of my school teachers hunted and fished and invited me to go with them when they knew I hunted too. It was a revelation for me to find out how great these guys were away from school and had great stories to share and even had senses of humor that they never let out at school. One of their favorite tricks was to list one of the other teachers houses for sale in the "Sale By Owner" column of the local paper at a price that was about 1/2 what it was worth.:laugh:

That's the way to do it. Quite a number of my school teachers hunted and fished and invited me to go with them when they knew I hunted too. It was a revelation for me to find out how great these guys were away from school and had great stories to share and even had senses of humor that they never let out at school. One of their favorite tricks was to list one of the other teachers houses for sale in the "Sale By Owner" column of the local paper at a price that was about 1/2 what it was worth.:laugh:

One of my professors put an ad in the local paper that a fellow teacher was selling fainting goats. He had over 100 calls.

One of my professors put an ad in the local paper that a fellow teacher was selling fainting goats. He had over 100 calls.

Actually, fainting goats occur and I can see why somebody would want the cruel novelty they provide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fainting_goat

Narcolepsy, something similar, occurs in dogs and humans resulting in very strange behavior.
Oh, and I still don't know where you can find pheasants on public land in the Gallatin Valley.

Last edited:
I think they used them to protect sheep herds. The wolves would approach, the goat would freak out and faint making an easy meal for the wolves. In turn, the wolves would leave the sheep alone because they have a full belly.

That canyon ferry area gets hammered most of the season, and it's tough hunting.You have to drive a few hours from bozeangelas, to get decent hunting.

Back