Pheasant Hunting Ruined me

Bob Peters

IMG_59051(1).jpgII20220527_212656.jpg
I remember a time before I ever pheasant hunted. I was a young man who spent most of his waking hours chasing large and smallmouth bass, fishing every moment available. And now I still fish whenever I can, but for some strange reason I just cannot get images of flushing pheasants out of my mind. It's impossible to put into words what pheasant hunting means to me, it's not another vacation, but the most important thing I do all year. I feel a strong urge to tell the dogs this, but they already know. Once in a while there are disagreements on this forum about details, but overall everyone is on the same page, hunting for the benefit of themselves and the dogs at the same time. I now find myself scouting for pheasants every chance I get. I saw two roosters toinight and one hen in MN on the way home. I see others usually do better than me, but it doesn't matter. The most important thing to me is that the dogs feel successful. Beyond that it's tough to describe the feeling of the dogs sniffing, beautiful nature, and the shooting. I don't think I'll ever get over thinking about pheasant hunting. I apologize if I'm "jumping the gun" but good luck to everyone this upcoming season! 20220530_205004[1].jpg

I just never realized how many pheasants are around in MN, because so many people say there aren't enough left to make it worth hunting them, that I almost started to believe them. Now I've learned that if you know where to look, and what times to look there, a lot more birds are around than most people think.

I would agree wholeheartedly. I enjoy fishing, but honestly I don’t want to put a lot of effort into it anymore. I used to fish a lot but I will take training with the dogs over fishing most days. I think about the upcoming year but also often think of past adventures and hunts/dogs. It is an affliction for sure, but it does pass the time

Back