Pheasant hunting in the rain

12gaugedust

Just wanting to know if rain makes a big deal when your pheasant hunting? I could see if its pouring down, but here in illinios we are supposed to get rain and winter mix sunday, and thats the day i picked to go hunting. Just some thoughts and where to look for birds, and they usually do when its raining.

I think I can speak for those of us in Kansas by saying....

"What's rain?"

I've seen it before John, though I only vaguely remember it;)

To the OP, hunting in the rain is as good as hunting in the snow when it comes to the birds holding tight. Too much rain may hinder scenting-conditions, but a light mist/sprikle or even a bit of freezing rain makes for outstanding scenting-conditions and tight-sitting birds. I hunt......correction, USED TO HUNT in the rain every chance I got. Go get 'em!

I've seen it before John, though I only vaguely remember it;)

To the OP, hunting in the rain is as good as hunting in the snow when it comes to the birds holding tight. Too much rain may hinder scenting-conditions, but a light mist/sprikle or even a bit of freezing rain makes for outstanding scenting-conditions and tight-sitting birds. I hunt......correction, USED TO HUNT in the rain every chance I got. Go get 'em!

Man do I agree. Light rain is miserable to hunt in but I sure wouldn't miss it.

One problem with the rain. Pheasants are a dry feathered bird. They don't fly well in the rain because their feathers when wet don't work right. So look for them under pine trees, under bushes, out of the rain wherever possible.

Heavy rain, I'd stay home! I may not be hunting in proper clothing for the light raineither cause I have gotten very cold in both light rain and a heavy dew. My legs got so cold I was starting to cramp up a bit , and my dog was shivering, so I just quit. Don't remember having much luck with the birds either. Light snow or even sleet I'll hunt. Driving that far to hunt on very limited time I tend to try about anything. Now that I've retired I have more time to discriminate, but also have more health issues!

To me hunting in light to med rain is as good as it gets since we don't get snow in the valley. The only places I can hunt wild birds is on heavily pressured public land where the only birds we see often flush 50yds in front of the dogs. Add a light rain and we have thousands of acres all to ourselves and birds who would rather hold in heavy cover (even thick, tall stands of grass) than run and flush wild. Slow down, keep the dogs close, cover ground thoroughly and be prepared for birds flushing very close.:cheers:

One of my most memorable pheasant hunts in SD took place late morning after some snow and a light drizzle. My old lab and 4 others hunters harvested 13 roosters out of one 40 acre ravine that had tons of good cover! I think my old dog flushed everyone of them. He caught a young rooster on the ground who was tucked under a clump of grass. We often refer to that hunt as being something "very special"! Scenting conditions in a light rain can be awesome!:)

Pheasants sure enough hold good in the rain. Look for areas with good cover like tented grass, cattails, brush etc.
Reluctant to fly but will run like hello if there are paths in the thick stuff.
I don't mind hunting in a light rain if the weather is mild and not windy. Hard rain and wind/cold not for me.
I've been know to relocate 250 miles to get to dryer conditions. :cheers:

Back