Pheasant chicks

Deweybagger

I was up north today and seen two separate batches of pheasant chicks, the first were starting to show the colors of the young roosters. The second group flushed from the sorghum when I road by on the 4wheeler, hen got up and a pile of little ones about the size of chickadees, they only flew about 20 yards and went back down.
Do hens typically have a late batch if the first dont make it? Are these birds to small to make it with winter just months away?

If your seeing some color they are fine. 12 weeks old and were using them training.:thumbsup:

The ones with color were big, a bit bigger than a grouse.
The other ones that flushed were so small, a quail would be bigger.
Just seemed awefully small this late.

Two weeks ago I saw a chick about the same size get hit by a car up there:( He/she was very small.

With that said, I think those young birds will be okay by winter time. They're feathered out and still have 8 to 10 weeks (at least) to grow before weather can start to get nasty.

There very well be some very young birds flushed this fall here in IL and WI. I think a lot of hens re-nested after we experienced a cold/wet spring. May snow fall didn't help anything either.

We'll see:confused:

Chickadee size is pretty small for almost Sept 1st, probably not all that uncommon though. I've seen lots of young roosters just getting color in mid Oct. Seems like once young birds start with the adult feathers they get color within a week or two. Early snow storms and wind chill no doubt will take it's toll on young birds.

Back