Perkins County?

Hobie1026

Hi,

Looking for a little help from the SD natives or anyone who's hunted the western part of the state. I just found out I have 3 days off over Thanksgiving and I was thinking of heading to SD to try finding some pheasants. I have some connections in Yankton but that's too far to drive. I'd only have 1 day to hunt.

A quick look at Google maps it looks like Perkins county is close enough to Colorado that I could drive there and back and still get in a couple full days of hunting.

So having never been to South Dakota, can anyone who's been there tell me if it's worth the drive and if there are pheasants to be found there? If I need to go farther east to find birds how much farther east would you say?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice!

Some years yes, some no. Don't get too excited by the Grand River Grasslands as they get grazed pretty good, at least in the past. Will find grouse and occasional Hun there. It takes a while to learn how to get around up there and it can be a long way from one spot to the next. You might want to look at Martin area. Closer, but not as much ground, mostly La Creek area.

You might want to review the 2014 Brood Survey, published by the SDGF. Lots of information about bird population and what you might expect if you hunt certain counties or areas.

Good Luck.

Perkins County has some good sharptail grouse hunting. That means a lot of miles walking prairie and ravines. A few big private-land walkin-areas for that, last time I checked. That could be a pretty lonely hunt if it's one person, not many people in that part of the country. There are some pheasants and even some on public land, but they are pretty remote and relatively hard to find for traveling that far.

Perkins County has some good sharptail grouse hunting. That means a lot of miles walking prairie and ravines. A few big private-land walkin-areas for that, last time I checked. That could be a pretty lonely hunt if it's one person, not many people in that part of the country. There are some pheasants and even some on public land, but they are pretty remote and relatively hard to find for traveling that far.

Thanks for the info everyone. I can hunt sharptails closer to home - I'm looking for pheasants. Sounds like I'll pass on SD til I have more time to drive to the eastern side of the state.

Back