Party hunting pheasants in Iowa?

remy3424

I am more than a bit embarassed by this, I have been pheasant hunting here for almost 50 years, maybe others know, but I am guessing I am not alone. You are NOT allowed to party hunt pheasants in Iowa...only deer in the shotgun seasons. Anyone else know this or does everyone else know this??? My season totals will never be the same. I ask "when did this change" the game warden said it has ALWAYS been that way. I was more than a little surprised with this information. Possession limits are also for birds you have shot, not your wife or kids...I had assumed that if there was another licensed household member that would automaticly double the possession limit, nope. I try to follow the rules. The reason I called was on a different issue, to see if an unlicensed youth, under 16 years old, hunting with a licensed hunter, had their own limit or was under the licensed hunter's limit.

This is always a tough question right? Who shot which bird? Sometimes it is easy, sometimes two people shoot at a bird and it falls, who shot it? What about the bird I shoot and my buddy has to shoot it again because it is still flying? I think the spirit of the law is that one person does not detroy the day for everyone else by shootinig all the birds, but in the filed some days I get more shooting, some days I get less. Dogs are also a factor. The guys with dogs always shoot more birds. I don't understand the rule and have never seen it enforced.

I am more than a bit embarassed by this, I have been pheasant hunting here for almost 50 years, maybe others know, but I am guessing I am not alone. You are NOT allowed to party hunt pheasants in Iowa...only deer in the shotgun seasons. Anyone else know this or does everyone else know this??? My season totals will never be the same. I ask "when did this change" the game warden said it has ALWAYS been that way. I was more than a little surprised with this information. Possession limits are also for birds you have shot, not your wife or kids...I had assumed that if there was another licensed household member that would automaticly double the possession limit, nope. I try to follow the rules. The reason I called was on a different issue, to see if an unlicensed youth, under 16 years old, hunting with a licensed hunter, had their own limit or was under the licensed hunter's limit.
This is one of those laws that makes little sense and probably can't be enforced too well.

If one is hunting with one other person, I suppose it's possible to sort out who's bird is who's. Five-six hunters surround a field and shoot several birds that end up in a central pile...who shot what?

If I'm carrying three birds in my bag, in the field, and continue hunting/shooting, the law probably could be enforced. Our group (
SD) has an agreement - if you have shot your limit, allow the other hunters to do so, until 3:00. Then resume hunting with/for the group.

This is always a tough question right? Who shot which bird? Sometimes it is easy, sometimes two people shoot at a bird and it falls, who shot it? What about the bird I shoot and my buddy has to shoot it again because it is still flying? I think the spirit of the law is that one person does not detroy the day for everyone else by shootinig all the birds, but in the filed some days I get more shooting, some days I get less. Dogs are also a factor. The guys with dogs always shoot more birds. I don't understand the rule and have never seen it enforced.
Hey Joel - good luck with the breeding! I saw your message and wish you and the dogs the best.

Jon

I don't hunt Iowa anymore, but it kinda got my attention so I quick looked at the MN regs. Party hunting is in fact permitted for pheasants. Not that it would matter though, most of the time I hunt by myself.

Wish they would prohibit party hunting for deer though.

I have always known the rule. Why, I have no idea. I was surprised other states allowed it. I think it’s a good rule.

I never considered a group of 8, 10, 12 or more hunting. That is just killing. Might as well release a couple dozen Rhode island reds out and go to shooting. I see 20 plus hunting fields in kansas. Just ridiculous. One time I counted 22 trucks hunting a large walk in area. Had to be close to 75 hunters in that group. I don't even know where to start on how ignorant it looks. It always involves alcohol and always an illegal hunter or 2.

Gim, the officer I spoke with had the same thoughts on the party deer hunting here. The officer said he would enforce it if he witnessed it or you admitted to it. He kept referencing waterfowl in his examples, so I got the feeling he spent more time policing migratory bird hunters than pheasant hunters. He also said if the youth shoots birds toward their limit, they should be the one carrying them (unlicensed youth DO get their own limits). Seemed like a nice guy, but as expected he is hired to enforce the rules ands does just that.

Gim, the officer I spoke with had the same thoughts on the party deer hunting here.
I'll be honest. Party hunting for birds (even migratory birds) is fine by me. I'm not so sure about westksbowhunter's example of having a party of 75 though lol. That's just obscene to have that many, no matter what you're hunting.

The primary reason I greatly oppose party hunting for deer is shooting multiple bucks. A lot of deer hunters complain that they don't see enough quality bucks, but then they shoot forks, spikes, and other small bucks with their own tag, plus a friend's tag later. Not permitting party hunting for deer would immediately increase the number of bucks out there because it would make people that hunt for more than a day or two think twice about filling their buck tag early in the season knowing they would not be able to shoot a bigger one later, given the chance. If you want to continue hunting after filling a buck tag, you will need an antlerless bonus tag. Many zones offer them. Just my opinion of course. I fill my own tags every season and no one else's.

I'll be honest. Party hunting for birds (even migratory birds) is fine by me. I'm not so sure about westksbowhunter's example of having a party of 75 though lol. That's just obscene to have that many, no matter what you're hunting.

The primary reason I greatly oppose party hunting for deer is shooting multiple bucks. A lot of deer hunters complain that they don't see enough quality bucks, but then they shoot forks, spikes, and other small bucks with their own tag, plus a friend's tag later. Not permitting party hunting for deer would immediately increase the number of bucks out there because it would make people that hunt for more than a day or two think twice about filling their buck tag early in the season knowing they would not be able to shoot a bigger one later, given the chance. If you want to continue hunting after filling a buck tag, you will need an antlerless bonus tag. Many zones offer them. Just my opinion of course. I fill my own tags every season and no one else's.
I don't know why in the world a fellow would want to hunt where you could not know if you killed a bird or not. I used to hunt with my son all the time. But generally we were far enough apart that we always knew which one of us shot the bird. There were times when we were close and doubled but the majority not. To each their own but I like the experience with me and my dog. In nearly 50 years of hunting upland birds, I have never hunted with more than 4 people. I have not hunted with more than 2 in nearly 12 years.

I used to hunt with my son a lot when he lived at home and I still do when we can, but he lives 200+ miles away now so it's harder. He and I both have a deal: we shoot our own birds. I find party hunting, frankly, loathsome. And in this state I'm not sure but I think it's illegal. Why would you drive "X" number of miles, go all year with dog training, etc. to let someone else shoot birds you worked for? Never has and never will make sense to me.

That possession limit thing. I was told by an SD friend that if you have more birds in the truck than you have licensed hunters in the cab you can be ticketed for that too.

Example: Four guys hunt a field and get 7 birds. The birds all go into the back of your pickup. You drive all the hunters back to the start point and two get out of your truck and go to their own truck. Now you have two licensed hunters and 7 birds in your truck. You are in violation of the possession law and can be ticketed.

Same potential risk for the guy with the good dog. You hunt with guys that have no dog and your dog brings all the birds to you. You stick them all in your gamebag until you finish hunting that field. Once you have more than 3 in your game bag, you are over the possession limit. I know I've come out of fields with 6 in the game bag and only one or two of those being mine.

Not sure they actually would ticket you for this but supposedly it is a violation.

That possession limit thing. I was told by an SD friend that if you have more birds in the truck than you have licensed hunters in the cab you can be ticketed for that too.

Example: Four guys hunt a field and get 7 birds. The birds all go into the back of your pickup. You drive all the hunters back to the start point and two get out of your truck and go to their own truck. Now you have two licensed hunters and 7 birds in your truck. You are in violation of the possession law and can be ticketed.

Same potential risk for the guy with the good dog. You hunt with guys that have no dog and your dog brings all the birds to you. You stick them all in your gamebag until you finish hunting that field. Once you have more than 3 in your game bag, you are over the possession limit. I know I've come out of fields with 6 in the game bag and only one or two of those being mine.

Not sure they actually would ticket you for this but supposedly it is a violation.
I know this is the "letter of the law" but I think I would fight that one in court.

Laws need to be black and white. The less they are subject to interpretation by the officer the better. One guy, one truck, 7 birds, that’s it, you’re over.

My opinion.

Now, a good officer should be able to have options as to if he will charge, but whether or not a violation has occurred should be clear.

Last edited:
Laws need to be black and white. The less they are subject to interpretation by the officer the better. One guy, one truck, 7 birds, that’s it, you’re over.

My opinion.

Now, a good officer should be able to have options as to if he will charge, but whether or not a violation has occurred should be clear.
I too like black and white laws that are direct but I think you contradicted yourself when you give the officer the ability to charge or not charge someone. I think the point is that no one is over harvesting animals but they somehow have to put the laws into print.

I don’t think so. The violation is clear, charging or not is up to the officer.

Law enforcement don’t like “is this or is this not a violation”. They can handle “should I or should I not write a ticket”.

Sounds like a good law to me. I would never put 6 birds in my vest. Of course I would never hunt with 2 or 3 other people.

Same potential risk for the guy with the good dog. You hunt with guys that have no dog and your dog brings all the birds to you. You stick them all in your gamebag until you finish hunting that field. Once you have more than 3 in your game bag, you are over the possession limit. I know I've come out of fields with 6 in the game bag and only oneof those being mine.

I do not even like carrying one or two birds in my game bag, let alone, six.

The simple solution is, give the birds to the guys who shot them and make them carry them. Risk of violation is now eliminated.

If you are spread pretty wide and the birds are moving ahead of the group, it was just easier to stick them in the bag and keep moving.

I never had a thought about possession limits; I was just keeping things moving. Odd the authorities are fine with party hunting and apparently dropped the rule restricting groups to 20 in SD but still worry that each bird gets placed in the correct game bag

I happen to enjoy hunting with my two lifetime friends. We’ve decades in the field behind us. They are truly my brothers. It’s fun when our kids can join us in camp for a few hunts too. Best part of the year for all of us.

Back