Opening Weekend plans

Opening weekend is a family tradition..All of us come together to celebrate, and to hunt. We also bring three guys from arkansas that love to hunt birds. What is everyone else's plans?

I don't have plans yet. Lots of times I don't go out opening day as there are so many other hunters out and its often hot.

But I sure am looking forward to the season.

Cy's Hoof and Horn in Sedgwick for chicken-fried steaks with whomever can get there from our group. Coffee and rolls in the morning at my buddy's house, then it's off to pound some thick cover for half a day.
Rest up.
Half day on Sunday and hopefully have some stories to share.

Last edited:
Headed out to Tipton for the stag party Friday night then hunting Southwest of Glen for the next two days. Headed out Thursday to help my aunt in Glasco winterize her house and do "chores"

I want to go, but I haven't been home in about 3-4 weekends. I don't have a hotel, I don't have vacation, but that has never stopped me before. I know if I don't go I will wish I had gone.

Heading for Hugoton where we'll attend the Pheasant Heaven Charities Nut Fry Friday evening and then hunt with friends on Saturday!

Be safe!

Heading to the Happy Hunting Grounds in NW. Hoping for a few more birds. Quail are said to be up.

A couple of trucks from our group are going out Friday and going to possibly do a little scouting. Which isn't really necessary because we always hunt the same spot for our first spot. But after that area I'm sure it is going to be warm and we will be looking to make our way back towards town. The truck I'm riding in is leaving about 2ish I would guess, putting us out there right at daylight if not just a little before depending on who drives the majority of the trip. Days are really dragging by.

Headed out after work with my 2 sons, my dad, and a host of other friends. We'll meet a few locals in the morning and then hunt until mid-afternoon. Repeat on Sunday, but we'll probably call it a weekend at lunchtime.

4 of us are leaving Friday morning for Dodge City, staying at the Dodge House. Stopping at the little mexican restaurant just east of Great Bend on the way out. Hunting near Cimarron both days. Pheasant will be as good or better than last year from what I've heard, and I'm hoping we see some of the HUGE coveys of quail like we saw last year. And I'm secretly hoping to see some scalies, we flushed 3 of them out of the edge of a CRP field last year and I'd love to see some again.

Here I am in central Mexico working. Not getting much done this afternoon as I prepare to head to the airport at 4am, fly to Dallas and sit for 4 hours, then land in Joplin at 2:30 tomorrow, switch vehicles and grab my shorthair and a shotgun, to begin a 6 hour drive west.

Going to be a long day of travel tomorrow for sure.

Here I am in central Mexico working. Not getting much done this afternoon as I prepare to head to the airport at 4am, fly to Dallas and sit for 4 hours, then land in Joplin at 2:30 tomorrow, switch vehicles and grab my shorthair and a shotgun, to begin a 6 hour drive west.

That is dedication!!:thumbsup:

4 of us are leaving Friday morning for Dodge City, staying at the Dodge House. Stopping at the little mexican restaurant just east of Great Bend on the way out. Hunting near Cimarron both days. Pheasant will be as good or better than last year from what I've heard, and I'm hoping we see some of the HUGE coveys of quail like we saw last year. And I'm secretly hoping to see some scalies, we flushed 3 of them out of the edge of a CRP field last year and I'd love to see some again.

we are staying at the La Quinta The Golden Pancake House is doing a hunters breakfast at 6 Is Dodge House doing an early breakfast?

Hope it all goes smoothly.

Here's praying for all to have safe journeys.

We are leaving SEK early headed to Dodge, just to look around. Like others have already mentioned, no need really, going to hunt the same fields that we have hunted for 30 plus years.
Just nice to see some different wildlife.

Spoke to the LO yesterday, said all milo's cut, been seeing a few birds.
Actually said it might be a pretty good year. This guy has been hunting birds since he was kid. Has saw it all. for him to say pretty good, means a lot. Here's hoping for all fill limits before noon !!!

just saw wind chill forecast for Dodge City Sat. AM 31 degrees with 25 degree wind chill.

Sounds like great conditions.

Sticking around fairly close to the house. Will be venture and hour nw furthest and hit some spots that usually have some pheasants in them. Sunday I'll grab the pointer and head out not far for a morning of quail hunting.

Heading to Glen Elder this morning from KC. Blaze orange will be in the dash!

Our group of guys has gotten smaller this year but
hopefully meeting up with a couple new ones.

Be safe everyone!

Back