Opening Weekend Pheasant Trip From Hell

TNPheasantFan

Out of respect to others, because none was shown to the 30 plus (advertised as 20 people max, yeah right) folks that showed up to hunt, I am not going to name names or the outfit (send me an e-mail for that) that absolutely demolished what should have been a great weekend of hunting. I will say that the circus originated out of Great Bend (base setup at America's Best Value Inn) and those who were involved need to speak up and warn others of what to expect before sending any money in to this outfit.

What happened:
Saturday, 11/14- Long story made as short as I can without punching my keyboard. Drove 1hr. 15 min to first spot on WIHA land. Yes, I know we paid a guide to hunt WIHA land the first day, that was our stupidity for that. Second stop, the group of 30 plus was given no direction on how to proceed and hunt the plot. Middle of the way through the plot, all the groups ran into each other. Not because it was a plan to corner the pheasants, it was because there was not conversation held between the "organizer" and his guides. Well that spot was done after this mass confusion (I am sure the birds were laughing their asses off at us).

Here is where it gets real good: We then drove another 45 min. to hunt "family" farm land. When we get there a white truck comes hauling ass towards the group and he is pissed. He is shaking and pointing both hands at the "organizer", "get them out of here, you don't have permission to hunt that, get outta here". The "organizer" didn't know what to do at that point. He sent the entire group across the road to hunt a WIHA spot that had been killed that morning. Keep in mind that this is around 11:30 am. The "organizer" jumped in his vehicle and took off. The group hunted the WIHA plot and went back to the vehicles. We then proceeded to sit there for almost 2 hrs. waiting on some kind of direction. He showed back up and led the convoy back to the hotel in Great Bend, another 1hr. 15 min. drive. Folks were more than hot! We paid good money to hunt 4 hrs? Yep, sure did! BTW, there were only about 15 birds killed most didn't fire a shot.

Sunday, 11/15- Out of 30 plus hunters, 14 were left standing. Most packed their things and got gone on Saturday after the debacle. Well, those that were left were told to meet at 7:00 am to hunt some "hot" private land. At 7:45 am the "organizer" was no where to be found. We had finally had enough! We packed our bags and started the 14 hr. trek home. It is going to take quite some time for my ass to heal from being burned so badly by this outfit. Here I sit, 28 hrs. worth of driving, $250 worth of gas, 3 nights of hotels other than the 2 included with the "hunt", $75 license, 4 days of vacation from work, and a $350 screwing by this outfit for 4 hrs of hunting and 1 bird. Hell, at least they could have pulled our hair while we were getting screwed!:eek:

Last edited:
How did you find this clown and what was his excuse for the poor hunt? Did he make promises he did not keep and if so did you ask for a refund?

Out of respect to others, because none was shown to the 30 plus (advertised as 20 people max, yeah right) folks that showed up to hunt, I am not going to name names or the outfit (send me an e-mail for that) that absolutely demolished what should have been a great weekend of hunting. I will say that the circus originated out of Great Bend (base setup at America's Best Value Inn) and those who were involved need to speak up and warn others of what to expect before sending any money in to this outfit.

What happened:
Saturday, 11/14- Long story made as short as I can without punching my keyboard. Drove 1hr. 15 min to first spot on WIHA land. Yes, I know we paid a guide to hunt WIHA land the first day, that was our stupidity for that. Second stop, the group of 30 plus was given no direction on how to proceed and hunt the plot. Middle of the way through the plot, all the groups ran into each other. Not because it was a plan to corner the pheasants, it was because there was not conversation held between the "organizer" and his guides. Well that spot was done after this mass confusion (I am sure the birds were laughing their asses off at us).

Here is where it gets real good: We then drove another 45 min. to hunt "family" farm land. When we get there a white truck comes hauling ass towards the group and he is pissed. He is shaking and pointing both hands at the "organizer", "get them out of here, you don't have permission to hunt that, get outta here". The "organizer" didn't know what to do at that point. He sent the entire group across the road to hunt a WIHA spot that had been killed that morning. Keep in mind that this is around 11:30 am. The "organizer" jumped in his vehicle and took off. The group hunted the WIHA plot and went back to the vehicles. We then proceeded to sit there for almost 2 hrs. waiting on some kind of direction. He showed back up and led the convoy back to the hotel in Great Bend, another 1hr. 15 min. drive. Folks were more than hot! We paid good money to hunt 4 hrs? Yep, sure did! BTW, there were only about 15 birds killed most didn't fire a shot.

Sunday, 11/15- Out of 30 plus hunters, 14 were left standing. Most packed their things and got gone on Saturday after the debacle. Well, those that were left were told to meet at 7:00 am to hunt some "hot" private land. At 7:45 am the "organizer" was no where to be found. We had finally had enough! We packed our bags and started the 14 hr. trek home. It is going to take quite some time for my ass to heal from being burned so badly by this outfit. Here I sit, 28 hrs. worth of driving, $250 worth of gas, 3 nights of hotels other than the 2 included with the "hunt", $75 license, 4 days of vacation from work, and a $350 screwing by this outfit for 4 hrs of hunting and 1 bird. Hell, at least they could have pulled our hair while we were getting screwed!:eek:

I am sure your refund is in the mail.

There are 6 of us that have been coming to Kansas for almost 10 years now and this year we decided to go late because one of us just had a kid back in August (didn't know if he would get permission from his wife). By that time, the gentleman that we had always went with was booked. He was still going to try and work us in, but that would not have been fair to the group that was already booked.

We found this clown described above on Craigslist. Not knocking folks that advertise on there or the site, we should've known better than to trust something that didn't have references. We did ask for a refund for the hunt and of course the money was already deposited in the bank and he didn't have a check to give us. I am going to patiently wait by the mailbox for some of my money back, yeah right.

Did he make promises he did not keep? Well, we had a hotel room booked, and he did have someone preparing meals as stated in the ad. On the other hand, my wife can prepare meals and line up hotel rooms, not knocking her in any shape or form. I went back to the Great State of Kansas to hunt the wonderful bird that you good folks take care of, not to be ripped off and scammed. The promise was to hunt pheasant, we did for 4 hrs.

Dude, that sucks...all I can say is that I only use Craigslist to buy stuff on the cheap....that being said, why didn't you just ask on this forum for references for folks...I am sure someone could have given a name or a name of name of a name....sorry about your misfortune...you know though Karma is a b$!ch and I am sure he will get his....

take care,
Greg

yeah i agree, you need to post up the outfitters name and operation so nobody else has to deal with what you went through.

Ok folks, I have been convinced to post the name of the outfit:

HUNTDOKS is the name of the outfit.

Don't be fooled by their website in terms of pheasant hunting. They may be great for deer hunting, but I have over 30 folks that can testify about the pheasant experience this past weekend. I wish some of the gentlemen from Oklahoma would see this post and put their thoughts in. I welcome anyone from HUNTDOKS to come on and try and defend their actions. Until I see some kind of refund, I am going to be a thorn in the side anyway that I can. I am not guilty of libel, slander, vilification, defamation, or other legal classifications because facts are facts!

BTW, if you have had a positive experience with these guys, congratulations and please don't tell me about it because I don't want to hear it. Thanks....

Last edited:
TN,

Like most here your story makes my blood boil. I went to this guy's web site and while it's not likely that someone who treated his clients the way you and the others were treated would step up and do the right thing or even offer an attempt at an explanation I did see his e-mail contact address listed and was curious if you had tried to communicate with him since your trip?

If nothing else I would love to see you provide a link to this site letting him know that the word is spreading about him and see if he even tries to explain what happened and let him know that you will be posting about him on every hunt web site you can find.

Hope your next trip makes up for this one.

Brad

I regularly hunt the great bend/hoisington area. I have family in great bend, and I would be very inerested in getting word of this out. To put it simply, the good people there wouldn't put up with this type of business. This outfit needs to be taught a lesson, and no better way then to have a small town turn against you. Pretty soon, things can get real uncomfortable and either you change your ways, or you pack up and leave. I don't even live there and still makes my blood boil. It is just disgraceful.

Sorry your trip wasn't everything that you hoped it would be. It's too bad some people are out there just trying to make a buck whatever way they can, hopefully you can get a refund or some sort of gesture to somewhat ease your disappointment.

If it was me I would try contacting the Kansas Attorney General Steve Six. I'd let them know about this and see if they can help you out. It may be a long shot but it's worth it if they can help you out...Good Luck getting this reconciled...:thumbsup:

Oklahoma hunters agree!!

I concur with everything said about HUNTDOKS in this thread. We have actually posted some pretty choice reviews on another site as well.

http://www.huntsources.com/index.php

Our bad for not doing better homework on this guy, but he was incompetent and this trip bordered on being a scam. I don't think he had scouted at all. It was almost like he took our money, and then just pointed us towards land that we could have hunted without him.

What happened:

Is this guy still above ground? Screwing 30 guys with guns doesn't sound real smart. You folks must be more polite than we are down this way. I'd have thought he'd have gotten a minimum of a good ole fashioned asswhuppin.

Thanks for Speaking Up

I concur with everything said about HUNTDOKS in this thread. We have actually posted some pretty choice reviews on another site as well.

http://www.huntsources.com/index.php

Our bad for not doing better homework on this guy, but he was incompetent and this trip bordered on being a scam. I don't think he had scouted at all. It was almost like he took our money, and then just pointed us towards land that we could have hunted without him.

I am still extremely angry about the situation that unfolded. Thanks for speaking up and I encourage all who can to speak up!

Another Dissapointed Hunter

I too was a part of this pheasant hunting nightmare. TN and Steve of Tulsa have sumed up the trip well enough that I feel I need not add any further details. However, as 'Professor" offered, I do encourage any members of this site that may reside in or around the communities of Great Bend, Bazine, Riverside or Ness City to inform your community of the injustice done to our group by Scott McFadden of HUNTDOKS so that shady outfits do not continue to jade the Great State of Kansas and the coveted pheasant.

Thanks,

DWise

Back