Opening day

ddeslau

How did everyone do?

We had a group of 3 with 4 pointers of varying experience on the ground and were shut out. Hunted Central Illinois waterways with 25 yard wide grass strips and put up very few birds, six in 3 hours of hunting. No doubt the standing corn nearby and the strong winds from the night before hampered our efforts but bird numbers seem to be down from years past.

I didn't get out opening day but did get out on Monday. My dogs get into a lot of scent on the two more productive ditches but only got two hens up. It was really nice out on Monday, mid 60's, so I'm hoping they were out feeding in the standing corn near each ditch. Trying to stay optimistic about the season. Best of luck to you the rest of the season.

I hunted Saturday and Sunday,all crops were done along side ther crp fields I hunted.Saturday,saw 4 roosters and 2 hens in the 1/2 hour I was out,Sunday,hunting a different field,saw 5 roosters and 3 hens in the 2 hours I hunted.All 4 birds that I harvested were from this years hatch.Hopefully when the crops get taken down by you guys you'll start seeing more birds.Good luck!

Didn't get to go but got the report from my hunting buddies. They hunt Iroquois. Very poor opener. They got 2 cocks total for four guys. Saw very few birds.

Heading out there tomorrow and hoping for much better results. Colder weather and hopefully fewer unpicked fields.

Got out yesterday. Lots of standing crops, especially near our hunting spots.

We only saw 7 birds and got one cock. 3 coyotes, 1 bald eagle in a little patch of trees in the middle of a corn field, and 7 deer.

Did see more hunters than I ave ever seen out bird hunting. 4 large groups working in areas that had fewer unpicked crops. Did hear a few shots so you know they at least saw some birds.

Hunted between Sheldon and Milford and then east of Buckley. Looks like some good cover but most of our spots had standing corn right next to it.

This one isn't an opening day bird but he's a wild rooster from this years hatch here in McHenry County.

Update.

Much of the crops out in Iroquois Co. Birds numbers we saw this week were very good. Lots of multiple flushes. Probably put 80 birds in the air and ran at least 40 out into fields that we saw on 5 different properties.

Putting that into perspective it was a very good day on average of the last ten years.

Happy.

All good news. Thanks Murph.:thumbsup:

I hit a field in Lee county today. Unfortunately I (only) had a hour and a half out there:(.

The dog bumped 3 hens and one rooster. The rooster was from this years hatch.

Here's what I did with the rooster from today. He had some nice coloring so I decided to pelt him out---once cured I'll hang him on my garage wall.

Back