Opening Day - What to expect?

steelbull85

I was wondering if anyone can provide some insight on what to expect for opening day of pheasant at the SGL's? I've heard it can be pretty crowded, but I wanted to confirm. Since this is Sadie's first year I'm hesitant to take her opening day if it will be that chaotic. Would like her to have a positive experience on her first real hunt, and know that external factors could play a huge factor in that. Thanks in advance for any information.

Hope you all were able to have a good youth day and grouse opener! Can't wait for a few years when I get to take the little guy up there for that!

Yes, all of the SGL's that receive birds will be crowded and hectic. I wouldn't put her out there in the first couple of hours, especially if you have never hunted that SGL before and are not aware of where the pressure will come from.
But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be there for the opening bell. A good training practice for a young dog "assuming she has been shot over" is to let her experience the atmosphere while you work calmly on her control in a safe area nearby.This work will go a long way so she doesn't hyperventilate in similar situations.
After the first few hours the crowds die down and offer a much more relaxed hunt for you and Sadie, there are still PLENTY of birds out there! It's a long season and you'll have plenty of opportunities. Enjoy and be safe!

I avoid the SGL on the morning of opening day. Things settle down around lunch time and the crowd thins out by then. Good luck.

Back