Opening day experiences...public land

Bob Peters

For some reason if the season was just on the verge of opening I wouldn't post this question. But being it is 5.5 months away give or take I think it's a safe bet. I'm just looking for your experiences with hunting opening day on public land in the pheasant belt. I have hunted opening day twice in MN but never in IA due to being in SD on the IA opener. The first time I hunted the MN opener was in 2019. Long story, but I threw together a last minute trip with a hunting mentor and we were driving around trying to find a spot an hour from the twin cities at 10 minutes to the opening bell. As you can imagine most spots had vehicles parked there, and we managed to try an undesirable swamp piece. We heard a rooster cackle in the standing corn but never flushed a bird. My buddy had a shot at a bird standing on the edge of a ditch/ cornfield that day but somehow the rooster got away. The next two years I didn't hunt the opener. Last year I hunted MN opener, got out super early to a beautiful piece surrounded by corn that had all been cut in the 5 days prior to opener and never saw a bird. Huge disappointment. I had taken off Wed,Thur,Fri of opening week to hunt. This would be day 5, 6, and 7 of the MN 2022 season. I know it's common to get caught up in hunting certain states, the golden triangle, 4 bird limits in Kansas, Nebraska's heyday, eastern MT bloc mgmt. etc. I just know I couldn't believe what all I saw during those 3 vacation days I took during the first week of MN season. I parked Wed. morning and saw 6 roosters walk across the gravel road waiting for my buddy to arrive. We hunted a short while and in a creek crossing near a phragmite patch a dozen roosters launched out in all directions, but I couldn't fire as my buddy was right in front of me. After this spot we split up and I drove north a few miles and saw 3 roosters in the road. At noon. They ran into the public forbes, I parked and chased, got one, missed one. I gave the dogs a watering and rest, then proceeded to get my second bird and limit for the day. Me and my buddy both got a limit on that spot the next two days, and we missed some, flushed some out of range, etc. There were a lot of birds around. In fact after shooting a limit I saw roosters standing on the road every day. I only wished I had hit that spot on opening weekend both days. Even if hunters were there at 9am, there were so many birds, I could have got my limit right behind them. Or hunted it in the golden hour and got a limit. What a gem of public habitat in MN and I'm happy to say that it is being added to and will be an even larger block of wildlife land for hunters to enjoy and cherish in the future. On MN deer opener I was coming back from Iowa and drove around this wma just scouting and saw a big wiley old rooster with a tail longer than I could measure on the edge of the crp, and as I rolled along he crept back into an adjoining shelterbelt on private land. I smiled as I saw this veteran who had avoided the hunting pressure go on his escape route. I loved that he continued on to propagate future generations of wild pheasants on this wonderful piece of public land. I know I'm getting a little long winded here, but I'm curious about others' experience hunting opening day. Often I've read the common opinion to hold off, hunt later, when all the crops are out, the colder weather and sometimes snow will concentrate birds in thermal cover. I agree with this, and last season, and really every season I've hunted till the bitter end. I agree that all the crops being out and cold/snow will concentrate birds. But I can't help but think that from now on I'll hunt every day I can. I've seen that even opening day there are birds to be found, ground can be found with harvested crops, and even if the corn/beans are still in, birds can be taken. Someday I hope to hunt the Iowa opener on public land. Even if it's crowded on public, I think that spots can still be found and roosters flushed. A buddy's wife remarked, "imagine being a dog, and you wait all year for hunting season, and then it's over so soon." I agree with her 100%, I guess my only thought on that is in the future I plan to hunt early season, late season, and everything in between. Any comments on hunting opening day public in MN, IA, and SD are appreciated. I had a late night at work, and had been thinking of this subject for some time. I am 42 years old and have been pheasant hunting since 2019. I guess you could say pheasant hunting is "in my blood" or if we were down south, "I'm ate up with it." I just can't stop thinking of all the great memories I've had with friends, and more often, just me and the dog, walking for miles and miles in the uplands, chasing wild roosters. I'm really thankful for this website and all the great people on it. God, Family, Country... and Pheasant hunting. I would love to see Sage and Ace give it a go on these wild and hard hunted MN birds, but of course they've got their paws full trying to keep the SD rooster population in check😅. I know I've posted this picture before. Here is Skye, on day 3 of our MN hunt, with our limit bird. I had walked into a corner of public land adjoining a freshly cut cornfield. I've had so many miscues in my day, but here I JUST KNEW THERE WAS A BIRD. I paused for a LONG time. Suddenly there was a flush, one shot and it's like she knew too. A quick retrieve and our limit. Man I miss it so much! Hope springs eternal, 🤞waiting for pheasant season 2023.20221021_132009.jpg

Any comments on hunting opening day public in MN, IA, and SD are appreciated.
I'll bite. Although I only exclusively hunt private land now in MN, I did at one point hunt public land. It was not a very enjoyable experience for the reasons you stated - too many other hunters, too many standing crops, and I will also add that its been VERY warm on openers as the years have gone on. Anything over about 50 degrees is just too warm for me, and the dog.

I believe that MN should adjust their season accordingly and make it more closely align to the warming fall temps and later corn harvest. I remember when I first started hunting pheasants in October 20 years ago, it was rarely so warm out. And about half the corn would often already be out. Nowadays it seems like its 75 degrees on opener and virtually none of the corn has been harvested. Quite often its still warm all the way through October and the corn isn't harvested heavily until at least November. I think the DNR should move our opener back by a full week or more, and then extend it another week into January. I would much rather hunt in early January when its 20 degrees out than in October when its 70 degrees out.

My best hunts for roosters often occur in late November or early December here in MN. It almost always coincides with the first decent snowfall, right after most of the corn is taken. I have some control over when I'm able to hunt, and I try to target days when the conditions are in my favor. I don't hunt in the rain, high winds, or warm temps anymore. I'm not necessarily out there JUST to bag a rooster. I'm also out there to just enjoy being out there, walking around, carrying my shotgun, and of course being with my dog. Would I enjoy a hunt as much if it was gale force winds and spitting sideways rain? Certainly not.

If I went back to hunting public land again, I would 1) go during the week, 2) avoid opener, and 3) hunt later in season when the casual bird hunter has packed it in for the season. Just my opinion of course too.

Both IA and SD generally have bigger tracts of public land to hunt than MN does in the pheasant portion of the state too. That's something to keep in mind.

I hunt with my family on opening day, so I'm not sure what the pressure on public is like, but if it's anything like the Resident Opener, people seem to get out early and finish early. I've said it before and will continue to say it, but a guy is going to come across more birds by hunting the last couple hours of the day versus starting at the opening bell. Even with standing grain and cover in ditches, etc., pheasants will roost in large tracts of open grass, which are typically going to be found on public land. And if a guy travelled to SD to hunt pheasants and doesn't want to spend the day waiting for the afternoon, I'd find some transition habitat to work. Fencelines along cornfields are good as, IMO, pheasants aren't going to bomb way into the middle of a cornfield, they'll stay closer to where they roost (early season, anyway) and a guy can catch them coming back to loaf on those days of Indian Summer.

All that said, I've shot pheasants in all manner of cover and all times of day in the early season. It gives the pheasants the greatest amount of flexibility and the only way to find them is to get out and go after it.

Nice to see others that share the obsession of pheasant hunting. I shoot enough doves for a couple meals, I shoot quite a few ducks and geese, some grouse, and deer. I also enjoy catching walleyes in the spring and summer. But nothing compares to pheasant hunting. It consumes my mind and seeing the dog get birdy, hearing the flush and putting my hands on that beautiful bird is something that never, ever gets old.

First, only real weirdos sit around thinking about this sort of stuff in May. As such, I totally appreciate it.:ROFLMAO: Those are great thoughts, Bob, & a fantastic picture of Skye!

I'm definitely in the "hunt every day I can" camp. The season just need be open. I spent the 2001-2006 seasons hunting primarily central Iowa. I tried public land at 8:00 opening day once & only once. Holy crap. It was much better holding off until after noon. After the first few weeks of the season, I rarely had competition at any time, from pheasant hunters anyway. Slugchucker season was an altogether different experience that I don't miss one bit.

Every other season I've spent in SD. I hunt the residents' weekend in early October through the end of January, public (or publicly accessible) land about 97% of the time. Early in the season, I don't start hunting until early/mid afternoon, or possibly even just the last 1-1/2 hours of the day. I rarely pull up to a spot & find it being hunted. Sometimes I'll pull up & someone will be leaving, having just hunted "my" spot, but that typically doesn't deter me. Pheasants move from 1 hour to the next. I usually feel like I arrive at any given spot at the right time. Someone who just hunted the spot at an inopportune time didn't bother "my" pheasants. I hunt parts of the state littered with public land, so in the unlikely event I'm forced to move, I'm usually less than 15 minutes from several other spots just as good.

LOL that's a fairly accurate term to be honest.
There was one time, last day of deer season, I considered myself lucky to be alive. I confronted the idiots. One acted pretty sheepish, but I think the other guy honestly believed I had no right to hunt pheasants on public land during deer season.

First, only real weirdos sit around thinking about this sort of stuff in May. As such, I totally appreciate it.:ROFLMAO: Those are great thoughts, Bob, & a fantastic picture of Skye!
Thanks all for the insight on my question. To be honest sometimes I miss pheasant season so much, that I post on this website. I just got a turkey yesterday, I have a bunch of fishing tournaments this summer, and I love all of that for sure and always will. But ever since I started pheasant hunting...there's nothing like working as a team with your dog to find, flush, and hopefully bag some birds. My posts can get lengthy when I get in a mindset dreaming of October. I'll never forget the days of crisp fall in the air, many miles walked, and finally a bird flushed in range and shot, the dog returning so proud and often huffing after all the work of tracking and retrieving. I just figure that this site is always a great spot to let out my longing for pheasant season. I hope each and everyone of you is enjoying spending the offseason with your dogs and dreaming of the wonderful days of fall hunting season soon to come.

I hunt with my family on opening day, so I'm not sure what the pressure on public is like, but if it's anything like the Resident Opener, people seem to get out early and finish early. I've said it before and will continue to say it, but a guy is going to come across more birds by hunting the last couple hours of the day versus starting at the opening bell. Even with standing grain and cover in ditches, etc., pheasants will roost in large tracts of open grass, which are typically going to be found on public land. And if a guy travelled to SD to hunt pheasants and doesn't want to spend the day waiting for the afternoon, I'd find some transition habitat to work. Fencelines along cornfields are good as, IMO, pheasants aren't going to bomb way into the middle of a cornfield, they'll stay closer to where they roost (early season, anyway) and a guy can catch them coming back to loaf on those days of Indian Summer.

All that said, I've shot pheasants in all manner of cover and all times of day in the early season. It gives the pheasants the greatest amount of flexibility and the only way to find them is to get out and go after it.

Nice to see others that share the obsession of pheasant hunting. I shoot enough doves for a couple meals, I shoot quite a few ducks and geese, some grouse, and deer. I also enjoy catching walleyes in the spring and summer. But nothing compares to pheasant hunting. It consumes my mind and seeing the dog get birdy, hearing the flush and putting my hands on that beautiful bird is something that never, ever gets old.
AMEN!

I have never hunted MN or IA but have hit most of the other major pheasant states and only hunt public land. I've done the opening day a couple of times and that hasn't been my thing. Once I couldn't find a place to park and went to some really marginal cover just to get out. Dog put up one that I got and than I headed back because a swarm of hunters were heading at me. Dog found 3 more cripples on the way back to car. I was one over my limit with firing one shot. People were posting next to my car as I came out. Nowdays I skip the first 2 weekends and the week between. I love to hunt but am kind of antisocial so later in the season works better for me. I don't need to fill limits every day but get a real joy out of outwitting a smart bird.

Lots of variables on this subject, and you guys have shared some great info. Before the season starts I'll do a little scouting to check the crop status. If the weather is cool I definitely plan to get out. I have noticed that most people are out in the morning for a few hours and then things really clear out. Maybe I'll take Skye out fishing in the A.M. and try and sneak out for the last few hours of the day.
IMG_51781.jpgIMG953400.jpg

Back