Opening Day Excitement

Jonjhawk

Just two more weeks from Saturday before the season finally opens and I just don't think I can wait anymore. My dads been texting/calling/emailing me all day planning strategies and sending me articles. Since my brother can only get off work for one day we are just going out to the Marysville area for the weekend.
Whats everyone's plans for opening day?

Dad's weekend at my daughter's sorority at KU. Hate to miss the opener, but only a few short years before she'll be out of school and on her own. Good luck to everyone who will be out and be safe!

We're talking about getting together the night before and eating some type of meal whether I'm grilling pheasant or I'm making ribs while watching KU play Indiana.

Saturday morning, it's fresh made cinnamon rolls and coffee before we take to the fields. Looking at maybe half days each Saturday and Sunday, but this could change due to the weather. It can't get here soon enough.

My dad has been printing off the maps of the place we have permission, trying to figure out strategies.

I am right there with you in the excitement category. We leave in 2 weeks and 1 day for our happy hunting grounds in the north central area to set up camp and relax a few days before the opener. Bags are already packed, shotguns cleaned, dog bag is packed. All that is left to do is wait on my hunting chaps to arrive in the mail and buy food and beverage.

It will probably be two whole months before we make our yearly trip out there. Im still as excited about it as you guys! Best of luck!!

We're talking about getting together the night before and eating some type of meal whether I'm grilling pheasant or I'm making ribs while watching KU play Indiana.

Saturday morning, it's fresh made cinnamon rolls and coffee before we take to the fields. Looking at maybe half days each Saturday and Sunday, but this could change due to the weather. It can't get here soon enough.

My dad has been printing off the maps of the place we have permission, trying to figure out strategies.
Completely forgot about the ku game that night

Completely forgot about the ku game that night

The 'Hawks might be the one thing which can keep me grounded for a couple of hours on Friday.

And M.R. Byrd, we might go to Cy's and get chicken-fried steaks instead of having me cook. Just so we have to work them off.

cys%20chicken%20fried_zpsblqw4xqk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Heading to the Happy Hunting Grounds in NW. Mostly private. Word is pheasants are none too plentiful but quail are up. Going to warm up this weekend on the Nebraska opener, all public.

We've got rooms booked for the opener, typically just hunt WIHA's, but newer coworker at work bought a house out there simply as a base of operations for hunting, and he has private access. Might jump in with him depending on how the hunts going. Have done pretty well the last several years, hoping to continue that.

The 'Hawks might be the one thing which can keep me grounded for a couple of hours on Friday.

And M.R. Byrd, we might go to Cy's and get chicken-fried steaks instead of having me cook. Just so we have to work them off.

cys%20chicken%20fried_zpsblqw4xqk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So where is this place that sells that good looking plate? I am guessing Dodge City.

That plate looks so good I googled it. Not Dodge City. I think I could finish it after a hard days hunt. On of the best perks from being an avid hunter is I can eat whatever I want and as much as I want during hunting season and not worry about clogged arteries.

Probably stay home - I've missed opening weekend for a few years now - mostly on purpose - I hate the competition on all the WIHA's where I like to go. I'll let the once a year people have their weekend then I enjoy the rest of the year.

This year I'll be in Vegas M-F the week after for a conference and attending with a buddy of mine to investigate greener business opportunities. Wondering what the week will hold - hopefully an entrepreneurial opportunity will spring up. Not sure if I'll go hunting the 2nd weekend either. May just wait until Thanksgiving depending on the weather.

Hi. I'm new to the forum but have been enjoying reading all of the posts. Headed out during the second week for our 10th straight year. Birds or not we always have a great time. Hoping for good weather and can't wait to get back at it!

Going to miss the first part of the season due to back surgery. Hope to make it out during the late season. Not fair for the dogs to miss the whole season. Good luck to all and be safe!

Back