Opener

braskie10213

Anyone getting exited as me about the opener? Just recently moved back, after a couple years away. My 3 year old lab is used to hunting ducks, I have been working with him a lot lately and it will be interesting to see how he transitions to upland hunting. Planning on heading out the first weekend to SW NE and hitting up Furnas/Red Willow public land, with a group of 3. I know we'll find out once we get out there but I'm getting pretty curious about how the habitat is out there and how the harvest is coming along, as I am an easterner(NE) . Any and all info welcome.

shot'em safe, shot'em straight

braskie10203, I will be out there in that general area for the opener. There were very few birds in that area last year but maybe it will be a little better for us this year. Good luck and let us know how you do. Pictures would be nice too. Since I will be by myself I plan on taking a few selfies to post over here.

7 of us from assorted southern states. S.E. Nebraska for the opener then out west for a few days. Heard plenty of quail when I was back this summer.
Good luck to all!

Had a great opener out in the SW, forgot how much I missed pheasant hunting. Was surprised how well my duck dog did pheasant hunting. Our group of 3 ended up 12 pheasants and 4 quail on the weekend. We did lose two cripples out of our group of three, which was frustrating, just something I need to work more on with my dog or improve my shooting I think I trust my dog more than my shooting sometimes.

Two of us had an excellent opener.

\

We bagged six roosters on Saturday and had excellent dog work all day.

Last edited:
I'm the pretty one in those pictures. No, not the dog silly! We had a great first day. Enjoyed my hunt with you Bilbo! I believe we did better than many. What a great way to start a season!:cheers:u

Well week one in the bag. My hunting partner and I have been out four timess to three different pieces of public ground in the south central part of the state. Most birds we've put up in a few years. Have 18 in the bag between us with a few misses and the cover looks great. I think this could be a very good year of hunting so get out there.

I had a wonderful time shooting roosters and eating out with the gentleman pictured on the right side of the photo. He is the good looking one. (He even told me so.)

Hunted in Southeast Nebraska opening weekend and last Friday. Opening morning saw a bunch of quail and pheasants. Definitely more than I saw last year. The habitat in the specific area I was in was good, but not sure how good it is in other parts of SE NE. Crops that were next to the grass/cover we hunted were harvested. Like having the chance to hunt both quail and pheasants in the same area, but pheasants are king in my book!

Awesome to hear all the positive reports. I can not wait to get out when the harvest is over and lower temps, unfortunately I'll have to wait a couple weeks before I can go again and it will have to be a little closer to home

Back