Opener Results

mstand

Today was Iowa's dove opener. Jim was able to meet up with some good friends and took Abby ( Small Munsterlander)along for some retrieve work. I, on the other hand, decided that they wouldnt do very well and decided to stay snuggled in my bed! Something about 4 am wake up calls dont mesh with me. BIG BIG Mistake! Over 60 Doves were shot and retrieved! SOUNDS like they had a good time!
They are planning on hitting it again tomorrow. I have dog training down south so I will miss it again!!!!:mad: Cant wait to get this testing season done and hunt!

Abby and Ava the Lab
2012-09-0195095107.jpg

2012-09-0195082721.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! Well played. You did far better than me . . . who managed 6 in about an hour and a half. They just weren't flying.

Recipes??

Hello Guys,

What are some of your favorite recipes for doves? I haven't hunted them yet but looking for some tried and true favorites:)

I'm certainly a rook here, but just go with the bacon wrapped approach, including a jalapeno. Grill them over low flame.

Hello Guys,

What are some of your favorite recipes for doves? I haven't hunted them yet but looking for some tried and true favorites:)

If I get a good mess of em, I like to make Kabobs with them. Marinade em with some soy sauce and whatever else you want to throw in there for about an hour, then I put em on the sticks with some veggies, and then dust em real good with brown sugar before I put em on the grill.

I have some jalapeno jelly i've been thinking about trying a glaze with.

Back