One week to go....

One week from today heading out for nine days of torture, just kidding, consider SD a little piece of heaven that never gets old.

Been organizing and packing for the trip. It's funny how the older dogs know where we are going a week before we load up. There's a buzz around the house and the dogs are light on there feet ready to battle the educated South Dakota rooster. I am sure them same feet will be a little heavier come day 4 or 5.....

Just wanted to see how everyone is fairing in the field? How's the corn harvest, about done?

Just wrapped up a 5-day hunt, had an absolute blast. Corn looked to be about 80% done around Mitchell. Combines were rolling all around, so I reckon they'll be finished in another week.

Can't give you a report yet but we are packed and will be heading out here in a few hours. Will be in the field tomorrow early afternoon is the plan. Reports I have been getting have us pumped up and ready to get there. Ended up just being two of us so will make the best of it.

Good luck on your trip!

Matt

I think you will be timing it about right. Crops have really come out lately with the warm dry weather. Looks like most of the rest should come out in the next week.
The weather is suppose to cool down at the end of next week. They are talking 40s for the end of next week.

Good luck.

Tim

I think you will be timing it about right. Crops have really come out lately with the warm dry weather. Looks like most of the rest should come out in the next week.
The weather is suppose to cool down at the end of next week. They are talking 40s for the end of next week.

Good luck.

Tim

Tim,

From the way the weather looks next weekend should be good, mid to high 40's. Perfect weather for the dogs. Be nice to get a little moisture for scenting with how dry I hear it has been.

We make the 10 hours trek next Thursday afternoon. 10am Friday will hit the ground running...

It does sound like a little moisture will come in with the cooler weather. If you are hunting the same general area I believe you did last year I think you will be fine. It is drier the farther north or west you go. Some areas in the SE are fairly wet. I've flushed several roosters while standing in water this fall. Lots of dew and frost in the mornings too.

Tim

Can't give you a report yet but we are packed and will be heading out here in a few hours. Will be in the field tomorrow early afternoon is the plan. Reports I have been getting have us pumped up and ready to get there. Ended up just being two of us so will make the best of it.

Good luck on your trip!

Matt

Good luck Matt, be careful traveling and have a great time. :thumbsup:

I'm jealous Chad! My dad and brother left this am for a week of hunting. Ill be heading out mid December! Good luck I'll let you know how they do as I beleive they are in the same area as you hunt!

I'm jealous Chad! My dad and brother left this am for a week of hunting. Ill be heading out mid December! Good luck I'll let you know how they do as I beleive they are in the same area as you hunt!

I will keep in touch and let you know how things turn out for myself. I had a friend who was out for the last 3-4 days who has been doing pretty good. Thursday can't get here soon enough. Going to be the longest four work days of the year and the shortest nine days of my life once we are there. I hate how that happens.....

Last edited:
It does sound like a little moisture will come in with the cooler weather. If you are hunting the same general area I believe you did last year I think you will be fine. It is drier the farther north or west you go. Some areas in the SE are fairly wet. I've flushed several roosters while standing in water this fall. Lots of dew and frost in the mornings too.

Tim

Thanks for the info Tim.

Well put in my last three day weekend of conditioning the dogs hunting grouse pretty hard here in WI. Looked at the extended forecast and once again just like last year at Thanksgiving looks like possible snow and 20mph+ wind to start our week. That's good old SD for ya! I will take the snow and wind over sitting at my desk in the office any day. Thursday can't get here soon enough......

We will be right behind you! Heading out early Friday. Maybe the nasty weather will push the birds into the cover, rather than sit out in the field all day.

Best of luck on your trip Chad, I think you might have sold a setter pup to a buddy of my from Gladwin Michigan. I was hunting north central SD and it was very dry, saw several fires in the grasses and cattails that were not intentional. Many areas that were wet last year are high and dry. I found birds in all types of cover from Brome to cattails. I hope you get some good weather as mine was warm and dry making it tough on the dogs for scenting, in my opinion. I'm already counting the days till my trip with my son in december.

Best of luck on your trip Chad, I think you might have sold a setter pup to a buddy of my from Gladwin Michigan. I was hunting north central SD and it was very dry, saw several fires in the grasses and cattails that were not intentional. Many areas that were wet last year are high and dry. I found birds in all types of cover from Brome to cattails. I hope you get some good weather as mine was warm and dry making it tough on the dogs for scenting, in my opinion. I'm already counting the days till my trip with my son in december.

Well we will hit the ground running Friday. Just looked at the forecast 37 degrees, NW up to 30 mph, and now 1-3" of snow(upgraded). A far cry from this past weekend back home hunting grouse back home at 63 degree. I absolutely love SD and grown to love what she can dish out. My father is coming along and will probably spend most on his time on Friday shaking his head in the truck and call me crazy for being out in the weather we will have the first day. I wait all year for these trips and won't waste one day on the ground. I know the dogs feel the same way as I do. Bright spot is weather looks to stabilize early next week.

If you don't mind me asking who is the buddy with the pup? We had a few pups go to the U.P. this year. Sounds like they were doing very well this fall on woodcock and grouse at a very young age.

I can't help but notice your call sign. I assume you are in the forestry industry? I am in the wood industry but on the manufacturing side(sawmills).

Last edited:
2 days.

After many reports of warm temps, it should be an interesting change. 30mph winds Friday gusts to 49mph, 1-3" of snow in the NE part of the state with totals of 4-8 possible. Lows in the teens and highs in the 30's.

Weather on Saturday is my kind of day especially if there is fresh snow on the ground. I'll be north of Mitchell this Friday for a week or so. Can't wait to get there.

Have a great trip.

Back