One of my most memorable hunts...

A5 Sweet 16

Inspired by "Hits & Misses..." by Labs.

I don't have inexplicable hits. Even the toughest, most unlikely shots that I happen to make.....they're because I'm just that awesome. :p
But eventually, the inexplicable misses happen.....Oy! I hate 'em. Hate 'em. Hate 'em!! Especially if they multiply. 🤬

One day toward the end of the 2016 season, my late springer Buzz & I were out on a REALLY cold & wintry day. I had 2 little public sloughs in mind, each way back there in the middle of nowhere. Each had trees & thickets around it that I thought might offer the birds some added protection from the cold that day. At the first spot, we walked WAY around on the tundra so we could approach the slough from downwind. Nothing jumped wild, so I'm thinking maybe we're in business. We start around the edge & get to the north side, Buzz kind of hopping between cattails & thickets, when he tells me there's a bird somewhere quite close. He eventually dives under the snow & bent-over weeds right at the base of the thickety stuff & out pops this HUGE rooster, right in front of me, the easiest shot known to man, a little left-to-right, slightly quartering away. I think what did me in was one tiny, little tree I had to let him clear. It gave me an instant to think how easy this shot was going to be. My feet were perfectly positioned, I saw that bird so well, & by the time he cleared that baby tree, I finished my mount & blew 2 of the biggest holes in the sky I'd ever seen. I was in a state of shock, but not for long. I soon realized that Buzz was back to that same dang thicket. I stand there, wondering how I could be so terrible & just about ready to call him off the thicket to continue hunting, when he dives back in. I think into the same hole he'd made before, & out pops another HUGE rooster! And the same...exact...thing happened. It was instant replay. I said MORE than 1 bad word, at TOP volume, & seriously almost chucked my gun in the snow. Absolutely unbelievable. After standing there long enough to clear my head to the point walking seemed possible, I called Buzz & we made the long haul straight back to the truck. We didn't even finish hunting the slough. We were going home. I didn't deserve to hunt anymore that day.

Back at the truck, I was calm, but incredibly dejected, super apologetic, & intending to go home. But Buzz wasn't ready; he was just barely loosened up. And after letting the truck warm up a few minutes, he convinced me to at least go drive by the 2nd spot about 15 minutes away & check it out. So we did. He was riding up front with me. We came up over this little hill & there they were, out feeding. About 10 birds, maybe 150 yards from the road. There happened to be a field approach right there, so I pulled in to watch them. Buzz saw them & was beside himself with excitement. They didn't seem alarmed, though, & I didn't have all day to watch pheasants eat, so I got out & waved my arms. Miraculously they didn't just run. They all flew right out into the little slough I'd had in mind about 1/4 mile from the road. I was pretty sure I saw at least 2 roosters. But man that was a long way out there that day, & there was so much snow, & it was so warm in the truck. But Buzz twisted my arm....and out we went. Again we had to walk the tundra & swing wide, CLEAR around to the downwind side. But we got in there without spooking anything. Not long after....hen....hen....hen, hen. Then within just a couple minutes of each other, there were 2 flushes, 2 roosters, 2 shots, & 2 perfect retrieves. Now feeling pretty good about ourselves, we finished that little slough & I thought...I know I saw more birds fly into here than what we flushed. So we tore that little place apart some more. Flushed a couple more hens. And right at the end...1 more rooster, 1 more shot, & 1 more perfect retrieve.

The walk back to the truck didn't seem near as cold, & the snow didn't seem near as deep. My vest was a little heavier, but Buzz was sure glad I'd taken his advice to at least do a drive-by. I felt MUCH better about my day & about life in general. It's a great feeling when your dog lets you know just what an awesome pheasant hunter they think you really are. Buzz got to ride home up front with me, and some Nutter Butters, & plenty of heat.

He'd turned the most inexplicably frustrating pheasant experience I can recall into one of the greatest. Honestly, I don't remember the 3 roosters we got all that clearly. Those 2 misses earlier are still unfortunately vivid. But this picture. I remember thinking I didn't care how cold & windy it was. We were taking the extra couple minutes to try to get a good shot. I think I did. And I'm so thankful, because almost exactly 2 years later, Buzz was gone. It's one of my favorite pictures of him, & I look at it often. It leaves no doubt in my mind who the greatest pheasant hunter around that day REALLY was.
5555.jpg

I have one for the books; it happened yesterday at a WMA in Oklahoma called Drummond Flats. It was opening day of pheasant season and I had previously walked two areas w/ no luck not even seeing a hen. My last walk of the day I was out about 15 minutes w/my year old GSP named GunnR off to my left when a rooster flushed wild on my right about 35 yards, I led and dropped him w/a single shot from my Franchi 20 guage 720. We made it over to the spot and realized he was a runner, I stood there watching GunnR hunt dead and looked away to add another shell into the magazine, when I looked up he was hard pointing about 15 feet from me. I said to myself "we got him". I walked over and kicked up the rooster, he jumped up trying to fly but had a broken wing. GunnR was on him in a flash and chasing after him. The rooster would zig, zag & jump trying to fly all in heavy cover w/me right behind them both yelling for GunnR to fetch. Than I realized that he would only chase after and not bite down on it to retrieve. I stopped and made the decision I was going to shoot the pheasant rather than lose him. The rooster juked and cut to his left while GunnR cut right, all the while running in and out of that heavy cover. At that moment I shot at the rooster thinking I had gotten him. When we made it over to him all I found was a hand full of tail feathers, and never did find that bird. The darnest thing I ever saw. Never have had a dog like that! More work needed..

Outstanding...

Great story.

Glad to see others are humbled occasionally - missing the easy shots. Gloves, heavy coats, drooping head-gear and other required cold-weather garb really impacts the gun mount. At least it does for me.

And that's my excuse for missing...as soon as I can shed the clothing, my accuracy improves!

Brent, why do we remember the misses way more than the ones we hit? I missed my first shot this year in North Dakota. Easy shot wiffed both times! After that I dropped almost every bird in range. The last bird of the last evening was in a ditch, the dogs worked hard to get that rooster up and my hardest shot (the straight away) was all that he gave me. I didn't miss on that one and I was able to take a nice picture of the limit and make a great memory. But if I would have missed that bird the ride home would have been horrible on my confidence.

Brent, why do we remember the misses way more than the ones we hit? I missed my first shot this year in North Dakota. Easy shot wiffed both times! After that I dropped almost every bird in range. The last bird of the last evening was in a ditch, the dogs worked hard to get that rooster up and my hardest shot (the straight away) was all that he gave me. I didn't miss on that one and I was able to take a nice picture of the limit and make a great memory. But if I would have missed that bird the ride home would have been horrible on my confidence.
Joel, I know what you mean. I actually think taking pictures on the good days helps me forget about the rough ones. 🤷‍♂️
I think once a person becomes a decent shot, you get used to & expect to make most of them. And it seems like the ones we miss are gimmes.
So as pompous as this sounds, it takes you by surprise when you miss. So you miss again on the 2nd shot.
And then, since there's no mark, find & retrieve to set your mind to immediately....you have plenty of time to become fully aware of what just happened. Or...it could be that the pheasant gods just want to rub it in, so the image of the clean miss is burned forever into your brain.

Great story.

Glad to see others are humbled occasionally - missing the easy shots. Gloves, heavy coats, drooping head-gear and other required cold-weather garb really impacts the gun mount. At least it does for me.

And that's my excuse for missing...as soon as I can shed the clothing, my accuracy improves!
Gloves can mess up the safety release. Strong wind can mess up a shot.Fatigue can cause misses.Good foot placement helps a lot!

Just got back to TN from SD. First time I've ever hunted just me and 2 of my dogs, Weather was great, just right amount of wind. Almost no hunters around. First 2 days were really good - dogs did their thing and I shot better than normal so days were short. Third day was tough, dogs did great but fewer opportunities and two legged didn't shoot well and 70 year old legs were tired.
I knew 4th day was my last.
First bird in the morning was text book, started feeling good again. Hit a couple of spots that usually produced birds but knew they were a tough walk. Didn't get any birds so thought with the time getting short and tired legs, I'd hit one of the places I did real well on the first day.
Turned the dogs out and started toward a slough I didn't get to hunt the first day. Didn't go far and both dogs locked up in tall grass. I walked up to flush and just as I got to the dogs, a rooster flushes behind me off my right shoulder. My pirouette was not very coordinated with my balance and I missed twice. Opened the o/u to reload and noticed the dogs were still locked. As I fumble to reload 2 roosters flushed and disappeared without a shot being fired. Glad there were no witnesses.
So its late I've got one bird and feeling sorry for myself.
On the way back to motel stopped at one of the farmers I've known for a long time and told him my sad story. He suggested I walk a section line road that he said was terribly rutted up from last year and about a 1/4 mile of it hadn't been mowed. So I tried it. As I started in I saw 2 roosters head into a fence row and the wind was in the right direction so of course I followed them.
200 yards dogs lock up, rooster flushes - 2 in the vest.
Continued on the fence row another 200 yards dogs lock up again, so pretty I stopped and took a picture. Kicked the bird up and to my surprise its a prairie chicken - 3 birds in the vest.
200 yards and dogs lock again, 3 roosters and chicken in the vest. As I'm walking back farmer shows up with his side by side and picks me up so I don't have to walk back to the truck.
Day absolutely couldn't have been better and the failed pirouette wasn't so important anymore.
Hope the weather cooperates for a return in January and my legs feel better..

Attachments

• Rocky & Reece .jpg
    Rocky & Reece .jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
Just got back to TN from SD.
Sounds like a great trip! It's really interesting how quickly things change & those down-in-the-dumps feelings disappear, even though the vision of those misses stays with you:LOL:. You don't feel so tired. You're not so cold anymore. There was a day when I definitely felt sorry for me. But I've shot so many roosters in my life, I don't need another one. These days I feel way more sorry for the dog. He works so hard & deserves every rooster I can give him.

Couldn't agree more about the dogs - probably a good thing they can't speak English. I do remember the easy misses much longer. I also don't need another rooster, but I still need to go after them. I did change and carry the A5 the next walk.

when ever I am having a rough day, I always reflect back on what my old man used to say over and over. “One thing about bird huntin boy, you can get well in a hurry.” Makes me smile every time bad goes to great in a few minutes. Truer words have never been spoken.

Great story.

Heavy clothing, and fatigue. The other day, I was worn out from hunting this hilly terrain for 3 hours and seeing nothing. When I finally did get a shot, I missed.I was just worked!!

Back