Older Lab Pain and stiffness prevention

Live2Birdhunt

I have a nine year old lab. About 4 weeks from our annual trip to SD. We will hunt 5 days in a row. She stays in what I consider very good shape year round but we only get about 15-20 days in this field each pheasant season. I have noticed her getting a little ginger in her movements which I realize is normal in older dogs. I am curious however if anyone has a proven pain/inflammation/joint medication regime that I can start her on to the minimize these impacts once we get in the field.

I know there are tons of advertised solutions out there but I am looking for real life solutions and recommendations from the forum.

Thanks

Products like Cosequin or Dasequin have pretty good proven results for joint health. But they must be given for the long term and the dog must be on them for several weeks before you will see results. If you are looking for an anti-inflammatory for some quick relief I would recommend Rimadyl. Ask your vet for it. I've used Rimadyl for over 20 years for my older dogs and one with hip displaysia and it has worked very well with no noted side effects. I give it on an "as needed" basis and not necessarily daily.

All four of my Labs get a Glucosamine/Chondroitin tab in their food daily and always have. I do think it makes a difference in longevity with respect to field work.

Cosequin ingredients are: Glucosamine Hydrochloride-600mg, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate-300mg, MSM 250mg, Manganese 5mg

Coscto/Kirkland ingredients are: Glucosamine HCI 1500 mg and Chondroitin Sulfate 1200 mg. No MSM or Manganese but WAY more Glucosamine and Chondroitin at about half the price. MSM tabs are cheap too, if you feel you want that as well.

As for the anti-inflamatory, my vet/hunting partner always brings Meloxicam (Generic for Metacam). Seems pretty amazing stuff to me. Dogs that are stiff get a shot that night and are full speed the next morning. I now keep it on hand for my two old dogs and when they start gimping up or getting stiff they get a dose. Always helps. My vet sent the prescription to RoadRunner pharmacy in Arizona. The 180ml bottle is ~$95 (You can get smaller amounts) and the dose is 1ml. So 53 cents a dose and we've had great results. He used to give Rimadyl (Generic: Carprofen) but switched to Meloxicam because he felt he got better results.

Your mileage may vary.

Agree with the Glucosamine/Chondroitin tabs. I also believe diet plays a very important part in joint pain. Sometimes genetics are tough to overcome but feeding a quality food and keeping weight under control can drastically improve life quality. My male is 10 now and really has not slowed down that much. I hunt him just like I did when he was younger. Days on end. He has always been on Eukanuba.

Back