Oct 18

Tfmdl

Set your vacations, email from South Dakota, announced pheasant season for this year, Oct 18 and talking about making possession 3x the limit instead of 2x. Our group of buckeyes are heading out around Nov. 1 good luck to all, hope for a perfect spring and summer.

Set your vacations, email from South Dakota, announced pheasant season for this year, Oct 18 and talking about making possession 3x the limit instead of 2x. Our group of buckeyes are heading out around Nov. 1 good luck to all, hope for a perfect spring and summer.

FYI

Pheasant possession limit is and has been X3 the daily limit for a long time. :D
As for the perfect spring and summer--lets hope so --the roosters are really starting to crow around here and winter was very mild, so I'm very hopeful. :thumbsup:

Actually both SDJIM and Tfmdl are wrong. :eek: The possession limit in South Dakota is, and has been for along time, 5 times the daily limit. The daily limit is 3 and the possession limit is 15. Of course the possession limit may not be possessed until after the 5th day of hunting.

Jim, you must have been up too late! :)

There was some chatter/ deliberation last year that the guides in SD wanted the legislature to change the fishing possession limit to 3x the daily instead of 2. It was defeated and dropped.

As a non resident, I voiced my opinion that it shouldn't be changed.

I was glad it was defeated, and hope it is not brought up again.

The reason the guides wanted it changed, was so they could book 3 day trips on a 3 day non resident license.

I said that was an easy problem, change the license to a 2 day license.

Not sure if this is what the OP was possibly talking about in the letter, or maybe they're contemplating going from 5x to 3x on pheasants?

There was some chatter/ deliberation last year that the guides in SD wanted the legislature to change the fishing possession limit to 3x the daily instead of 2. It was defeated and dropped.

As a non resident, I voiced my opinion that it shouldn't be changed.

I was glad it was defeated, and hope it is not brought up again.

The reason the guides wanted it changed, was so they could book 3 day trips on a 3 day non resident license.

I said that was an easy problem, change the license to a 2 day license.

Not sure if this is what the OP was possibly talking about in the letter, or maybe they're contemplating going from 5x to 3x on pheasants?

Their must be more than one South Dakota!
Possession has been 5x as long as I can remember. Also I have never seen a 3 day liscense. Non res is a 10 day that can be split into 2 five day periods
Steve
Ps I will be in SD tomorrow for a 4 day goose hunt.
Kill whitey

Actually both SDJIM and Tfmdl are wrong. :eek: The possession limit in South Dakota is, and has been for along time, 5 times the daily limit. The daily limit is 3 and the possession limit is 15. Of course the possession limit may not be possessed until after the 5th day of hunting.

Jim, you must have been up too late! :)

Ya I'll use that excuse--duh :rolleyes::confused:;):p

Their must be more than one South Dakota!
Possession has been 5x as long as I can remember. Also I have never seen a 3 day liscense. Non res is a 10 day that can be split into 2 five day periods
Steve
Ps I will be in SD tomorrow for a 4 day goose hunt.
Kill whitey

I was talking about a the 3 day fishing license.

My bad fellows, the change from 2x the limit to 3x the limit was for morning doves and sandhill cranes. sorry.

possession limit

Maybe a stupid question but in SD lets say the possion limit on pheasants is 5 times the daily limit, does that mean as a resident that you may only have 15 pheasants at a time in your freezer at your home residence, and have to eat or legally get rid of some before you may hunt again. I will have to ask a warden again but I don't believe in Texas that is the way it is.

Last edited:
As far as I know possession limit is freezer or where ever you keep them. Doesn't matter you can not have over your possession limit. But maybe you have 4 licensed hunters in your household? Or a couple 12-15 year old kids, a Grandma or two. :)

You can accumulate a lot of birds in your household possession. :eek:
Fish and deer, same type thing.

One other thing to keep in mind, although not sure that South Dakota is the same as here in Wisconsin, but in Wisconsin, if you have birds that you got on a preserve or game farm and/or from training, as long as you have receipts for them, those birds do not count as part of your possession limit.

Again, I would check with your local warden on that first.

possession limit

I talked to the game warden today and in Texas your possession limit doesn't apply at your residence. You can have as many as you want in your home freezer, If I am in a hunting camp then I can't have over my possession limit until I eat some or take them back to my residence. I am not trying to skirt the law just saying what the law is in Texas, and was wondering how it works in SD even though I haven't scared my possession limit on pheasants or grouse yet in SD.

I talked to the game warden today and in Texas your possession limit doesn't apply at your residence. You can have as many as you want in your home freezer, If I am in a hunting camp then I can't have over my possession limit until I eat some or take them back to my residence. I am not trying to skirt the law just saying what the law is in Texas, and was wondering how it works in SD even though I haven't scared my possession limit on pheasants or grouse yet in SD.

I was talking with a Fed about this a few years back. He said the same thing. Once the wild-game is in your home that's that. By mid-season if you have 30-40 birds in your freezer your fine.

On the state side though, the warden (IL DNR) said possession limit does apply to your residence through-out the entire season/year.

Take your pick. lol

Back