Nw ks 1/19 - 1/21

rattman

I made it out to some WIHA's just after noon on Wednesday after struggling through freezing drizzle and fog along I-70. A driven NE wind was sheening all of the weeds, grass and cover with a coat of ice and conditions worsened throughout the afternoon. In the last field, the temperature had dropped to 13 degrees and the wind was exceeding 35 mph. My eyelashes were freezing together as I walked into the wind and increasing snow. The birds were quite spooky in the chaos of weather but 2 roosters made fatal mistakes in a game of nerves against my setter.

Day 2 came in bright and dazzling.

Kansasfrozenfog1-20-112crop.jpg

The day was slow to warm and crashing through the frozen vegetation created an uproar of noise which further disturbed the already nervous birds. Despite W. L. Gore's best efforts, moisture wicked into underlayers throughout the day. Adding two more roosters to the bag on Thursday was a welcome result after a steady effort. One of those cocks must have been predestined to be the unluckiest bird of the year as his chance flush occurred when he spooked near me while my dog was working about 150 yards away.

Despite winds increasing throughout the day, Friday's temperatures eased back into the low forties. As is usual during windy conditions, pheasants were again flushing at long range. One bird was caught between the proverbial rock (dirt road) and hard place (cut corn field) and his attempt to hold tight proved to be a fatal mistake. Another's effort at an abrupt button hook and pause after a prolonged chase ended poorly for the rooster. Had the day ended with that count, I would have been more than satisfied. But, as the wind softened towards sunset, the pup and I worked back and forth for about 100 yards along a road towards a green winter wheat field. Near the end, pointing commenced and was repeated several times with my final two birds for a limit falling victim to a rare (but welcome) streak of good shooting.

12-15-10Atwood-StFrancis003.jpg

Still lots of birds around. What a good year for pheasants! I'll hit it one more time next week.

ratt

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to share the details. I'd been waiting all w/e to read another story from the plains. Hopefully I too will get the chance to hunt next w/e, but even when I can't it is nice to be able to read these stories.

Congratulations!

I made it out to some WIHA's just after noon on Wednesday after struggling through freezing drizzle and fog along I-70. A driven NE wind was sheening all of the weeds, grass and cover with a coat of ice and conditions worsened throughout the afternoon. In the last field, the temperature had dropped to 13 degrees and the wind was exceeding 35 mph. My eyelashes were freezing together as I walked into the wind and increasing snow. The birds were quite spooky in the chaos of weather but 2 roosters made fatal mistakes in a game of nerves against my setter.

Day 2 came in bright and dazzling.

Kansasfrozenfog1-20-112crop.jpg

The day was slow to warm and crashing through the frozen vegetation created an uproar of noise which further disturbed the already nervous birds. Despite W. L. Gore's best efforts, moisture wicked into underlayers throughout the day. Adding two more roosters to the bag on Thursday was a welcome result after a steady effort. One of those cocks must have been predestined to be the unluckiest bird of the year as his chance flush occurred when he spooked near me while my dog was working about 150 yards away.

Despite winds increasing throughout the day, Friday's temperatures eased back into the low forties. As is usual during windy conditions, pheasants were again flushing at long range. One bird was caught between the proverbial rock (dirt road) and hard place (cut corn field) and his attempt to hold tight proved to be a fatal mistake. Another's effort at an abrupt button hook and pause after a prolonged chase ended poorly for the rooster. Had the day ended with that count, I would have been more than satisfied. But, as the wind softened towards sunset, the pup and I worked back and forth for about 100 yards along a road towards a green winter wheat field. Near the end, pointing commenced and was repeated several times with my final two birds for a limit falling victim to a rare (but welcome) streak of good shooting.

12-15-10Atwood-StFrancis003-1.jpg

Still lots of birds around. What a good year for pheasants! I'll hit it one more time next week.

ratt

Ratt, that one looks like a mounter!!!! Long tail, I bet he had spurs to match!!!! Great job!!!!:cheers:

Thanks for the story and the pic. Good luck to you again next weekend. Unfortunately, my season is over. Heading to Dallas with my daughter for a soccer tournament next weekend.:mad:

Did not think I could be more excited to go to Kansas this weekend until I read this! Thanks for sharing hope to do the same after this weekend:):):cheers:

Thanks for your comments/compliments, guys.

Super- Hope your hunt went well.

Ksbrit- I agree that there is something about running a dog on the wide open plains of western Kansas that really moves the blood. The huge scope of watching your dog work up to a half section or more away from you is very powerful yet humbling. Being able to absorb all of the hunt on such a grand scale keeps bringing me back. One man, one dog, huge CRP plots and hardly ever another bit of human activity to distract you. Despite this, I actually prefer the intimacy of the mixed Bobwhite/Pheasant covers further east. I love quail- better overall (easier) for pointing dog work, more dificult to shoot and just a bit more delicious on the table.

10-16-071.jpg

When hunting in the central part of the state, the uncertainty of what will flush from a point keeps me at a high level of anticipation and excitement.

1-31-2010Ellsworthquail2.jpg

Bleu and Only a Pointer- I think that I must own a most complimentary camera. It was a nice bird but the tail feathers were not extraordinary and the spurs were those of a bird of the year. Below is a huge bird wearing daggers from last year- unfortunately he lost his tail feathers over a disagreement with my dog regarding being retrieved.

12-3-082.jpg

RoosterSpur12-12-091.jpg

I'm very pleased with my setter. He's finally come into his own as far as relocating and handling roosters in the big CRP fields. This is his Fabio quality facebook picture which he sends to potential girlfriends.

12-30-082.jpg

Sometimes we hunt Pandas.

10-16-072.jpg

Best wishes to all for a great final hunt in the coming week.

ratt

nice pics, great looking dog.....heading out for the last 4 days of the season, good luck to all who can get out......it's a looooong time until October or November, depending on where one will open the season again this fall.

Back