NW Iowa report 12-12-20

Kevin W

Stayed near Sioux City today for a 1/2 day pheasant hunt. The rain last night had the roads a bit slick this morning but nothing too bad as it certainly could have been worse. 7:45am found me watching 10 roosters and 8 hens leaving some nice, thick huntable cover in a ditch for the center of the neighboring corn field. I went in to it at 8 and only 3 hens remained. 15 minutes later I tried another promising piece of ditch cover down the road and Kepa got a single rooster up. Glad I had the semi auto along as 3 shots were needed to finally catch up to him in the wind. My young lab Kepa made a nice retrieve. The rest of the day was pretty much same old same old for us. Walk a few more ditches and nothing. I should change my name here to Uno I think or one hit wonder, seems like I'm destine to keep getting one rooster a hunt this season. No pic today, to dang cold and windy out there.

Missed the rain here. We went north of LeMars yesterday for a change of scenery, hunted filter strips and had trouble finding many, we brought home just 2. Giving them, the dogs and myself a break today.

Back