NW Iowa Drought Conditions

zmill93

Drove through this area early June and things looked pretty rough. I was wondering how things have progressed in the last month? Most of the sloughs and cattails all dried up in Dickinson Co area? How are the crops looking?

Hoping that the heat and drought won't decimate the chicks this year in the area or hurt the farmers too much.

Chicks are good. Our DNR said the NW corner is going to experience the same growth of birds that we have seen over the past 2-3 years.
NW Iowa has had some rain over the month of July, some places had over 6 inches in two weeks. SE Iowa is where you are going to see a lot less. I think our report comes out the first week of September.
I attached a link below from our DNR

Good to hear, BPA....headed to NW Iowa for a couple of days of pheasant hunting in early November on our way to South Dakota

Dry, Dry, Dry here. Most crops still look amazing for the lack of rain we have received. Rains have really be spotty this year. When we have received any, it seems to be 1 to 3 tenths locally. A few weeks ago, we received a tenth, but my father' ground received .9" to 1.5"... but it came with a pile of small hail, many bean and some corn fields were replanted. Extreme heat and dry is our forecast this week. Not really sure on the birds, haven't been out much in the past month, but yesterday I spent a few hours spraying thistles and I didn't see a pheasant, which doesn't necessarily mean much.

I guess it depends on what you consider Western Iowa. If you follow the line of HWY 3 from Cherokee to Humboldt, that area has gotten a fair share of rain through July compared to the rest of the state.

Back