Norton, Phillipsburg Area

vernboise

Hello all,
I'm new to the site and so far love what I am reading. My Fiance and I spent a couple days around Phillipsburg in the middle of the month and unfortunately didn't find many pheasants. Lots of quail though.
We are thinking of coming back to the area on the 26th and would love any help or direction. Is it worth hunting the WIHA around Norton?
We found a great house in Phillipsburg and don't mind driving 1/2 hour or so to hunt.
I'm the luckiest guy. I have a 9 year old Chessie and she has 3 yellows. She is posessed about bird hunting. Loves to watch the dogs work. She also likes shooting and pretty acurate.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sounds like you found a keeper! I took a trip out to the Oberlin/Norton area in early December. The WIHA cover over there is awesome. In my part of the state, the best fields are private and the over-grazed pastures are WIHA.

Just the opposite is true out there. It was a real treat to come over a hill and see beautiful cover up ahead and think, "gosh, I hope that's the walk-in." Then when you drive up to it, it actually IS! Whoever is in charge of enrolling WIHA out in NW Kansas deserves a giant pat on the back!!!

We found plenty of birds up there in early December. And trust me, we didn't get them all.:D Good luck to ya!

Toad,
Thanks for the input. Any specific areas ? Or were they all good?
She is a keeper. I wish everyone was this lucky.

We had better success South of HWY 36 that weekend, but the cover looked pretty good everywhere. Honestly, I can't remember what WIHA numbers we hunted, but I can't say that I remember any that were bad... We got birds North of 36 also, but they were all big, old, long-spurred roosters. We found the young, dumb ones South of the highway. All the birds are surely pretty wise by now, so it probably doesn't make a lot of difference really.

There's a concentration of WIHA close to Norton, and I remember that it was all pretty good. You should find something with four dogs. :thumbsup:

Well,
Not what we were expecting. Unfrotunately I think all the birds went to Texas for the winter.
We did see some but wow were they spooky.
most flushes were at 150-200yards. 3 hard days of hunting and only 1 very long spurred rooster. Definately one of the prettiest birds I have ever gotten.
We tried everything from Milo/Corn, Grain, Grass.
Maybe we will try another area next year.
We have to say the house we found in Phillipsburg was spectacular and I would recomend it to anyone.
The poeple in Kansas are super nice too.
Thanks for any help and let's see what next season brings.
:cheers:

Norton

I hunted Norton with a group in late november and had a good time. saw good amounts of quail and some pheasants but these days you just have to work a little harder for a limit. I think the place to go is right in the center of the state in Rush and Hodgeman counties. Anywhere around there because I have heard a lot of good things this past year from those counties. NW was just ok in my opinion.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully the schedule allows some time to try agian next year. This forum is very helpfull and very much appreciate any and all comments.
I'll start looking into it in the early fall. Hope the spring brings lots of new birdies for next year.

Back