North Central Kansas

mosetters

Hunted 2.5 days Tuesday through Thursday. We found 7 coveys of quail and saw about 30 pheasants, probably 8-10 roosters. Also saw 2 different groups of chickens, even pointed a single! I'm a little disappointed in the quail numbers since that's what we were after but Thursday was downright cold, like 3 degrees when we started. If we hadn't driven 6 hours I wouldn't have even gone out that day.

North central

I have been pleased with the numbers of quail this year. I am hitting about three coveys a day and they are good sized coveys around 15 to 20 birds. I found them during bow season and they have not moved much this year. Pheasants are way down in North Central but I have seen enough Quail to keep it interesting.

Tom

It was for sure a fun trip. We knew we weren't going to limit out every day going out there but were surprised by the pheasant numbers we saw with such a doom and gloom forecast. At one point we were in a big crp field and the dogs would go on point, we would flush a hen or two, and then the dogs would move up 20 yards and repeat the hen pointing process until about 10 hens had got up. That made for some great dog work. As far as quail go we had a very small sample size but coveys seemed to be bigger north of 36 compared to south. We hunted mainly public ground and got permission to hunt a couple private spots.

Back