North Central Kansas Quail

Hello everyone,
Headed to the areas of Downs/ Osborne in a couple weeks. Doing WIHA only. How are the numbers in the area? Been spending a lot of time e scouting hoping it will pay off. We are taking several young dogs with hopes of getting them into birds.

Last time I was their quail #s were good, but those WIHA's had been pounded hard. That was several years ago. Knock on some doors and let us know how it goes.

WIHA get hunted really hard in those areas last I heard. Also, a lot of the habitat has been mowed from what I've seen in other areas of KS.. I'm guessing it's no different there.

I hunted that area for 6 days. Walk-in and private land. Lots of quail when found them, cover is very thin. When I would find a covey and then hunt the singles I would find another covey. I unfortunately had a couple of days with 20 mph winds.

Posted this in the regional Kansas forum, but figured I’ll X-post here.

This was my first full weekend in Kansas since moving to Riley. Started exploring walk-in areas to my west. Local at the bar I ate lunch at while watching the exciting finish to the K-State said they are no pheasant only quail in the area. Go figure, I only found the opposite. Saturday: flushed 2 pheasants and no quail across ~4 ish fields. One hen, one rooster. Rooster basically flew over my truck as I was pulling into a parking area. Sunday, I headed just as far west but a bit more south. First spot I flushed a covey of quail maybe 300 yds from the truck. Saw maybe 5 other groups of hunters. Walked around an old homestead and some fields. Drove by a lot more walk in fields that were bare ground. Funny enough one waist high grass field across the road from a WIHA was loaded with birds. As I drove by I saw the largest flush of pheasants I have ever seen. Also saw a possum, rabbit, turkeys, deer, and prairie chickens while out and about. At some good cozy burgers. Maybe I’ll head out farther west next weekend.

Some of the spots have well maintained barbed wire fences w/o a gate or anything. How do you guys get across? Was thinking of getting one of those fence steps.

If anyone wants to meet up and hunt this weekend, shoot me a message. Looking forward to start watching different dogs work to try and figure out what breed may join the kennel next.

Posted this in the regional Kansas forum, but figured I’ll X-post here.

This was my first full weekend in Kansas since moving to Riley. Started exploring walk-in areas to my west. Local at the bar I ate lunch at while watching the exciting finish to the K-State said they are no pheasant only quail in the area. Go figure, I only found the opposite. Saturday: flushed 2 pheasants and no quail across ~4 ish fields. One hen, one rooster. Rooster basically flew over my truck as I was pulling into a parking area. Sunday, I headed just as far west but a bit more south. First spot I flushed a covey of quail maybe 300 yds from the truck. Saw maybe 5 other groups of hunters. Walked around an old homestead and some fields. Drove by a lot more walk in fields that were bare ground. Funny enough one waist high grass field across the road from a WIHA was loaded with birds. As I drove by I saw the largest flush of pheasants I have ever seen. Also saw a possum, rabbit, turkeys, deer, and prairie chickens while out and about. At some good cozy burgers. Maybe I’ll head out farther west next weekend.

Some of the spots have well maintained barbed wire fences w/o a gate or anything. How do you guys get across? Was thinking of getting one of those fence steps.

If anyone wants to meet up and hunt this weekend, shoot me a message. Looking forward to start watching different dogs work to try and figure out what breed may join the kennel next.
Cocoa, grew up about 15 minutes north west of Riley. Decent spots fairly close but yes get hunted fairly heavy. I frequently hunt around there myself and a lot of clay county when Im back home visiting my folks.

Back