Nonresident Shooting Preserve

spc524

Do pheasants shot (and tagged) on a shooting preserve count toward a daily or possesion limit? Most perserves that I have researched allow you to shoot more than 3 per day but you have to pay extra for them.

If so, how can they let you shoot more than 3 in 1 day?

If not, could a hunter that is hunting on a preserve shoot, 3 birds there in the morning get them tagged and then hunt public land in the afternoon?

Thanks

Do pheasants shot (and tagged) on a shooting preserve count toward a daily or possesion limit? Most perserves that I have researched allow you to shoot more than 3 per day but you have to pay extra for them.

If not, could a hunter that is hunting on a preserve shoot, 3 birds there in the morning get them tagged and then hunt public land in the afternoon?

Thanks

I think a shooting preserve owner/operator, game warden, or lawyer may be required to answer that question. My research left me confused.

Thanks

Although I have never hunted an SD shooting preserve, I thought this was an interesting set of questions. So, I asked the same thing of Janelle Blaha, Private Shooting Preserve and Permits Coordinator, South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks. I quoted the above post and emailed it to her with a link to the thread.

Here is her reply which I think clarifies the situation:

Private Shooting Preserves have a separate set of rules and regulations that they have to follow, that includes daily bag limits and possession limits. The daily limit for roosters shot on a private shooting preserve is 20 rooster pheasant from the beginning of the preserve hunting season through the end of the statewide pheasant season. From the end of the statewide pheasant season through the end of the private shooting preserve season, the maximum daily bag limit is 15 rooster pheasants. There is no possession limit as long as birds are properly tagged and the hunter can document multiple day hunting on a permit private shooting preserve. See below for the Administrative rule.

If a hunter has a resident or non-resident small game license, not the private shooting preserve license, they can hunt both on and off preserve. When they are hunting off preserve acres, the statewide small game rules apply. Birds shot on the preserve do not count towards the 3 bird statewide daily limit.

So for example if on nonresident hunter has a small game hunting license, they can hunt both on preserve acres and off preserve acres (i.e. public land). However when they are hunting off preserve they have to follow statewide rules. They have to be within the 5 day periods, they have the adhere to the statewide shooting times, daily limits and possession limits. If this hunter went hunting today, December 4, 2017 they could shoot 20 birds on preserve acres and 3 additional birds off of preserve acres.

41:09:01:03.01. Daily bag limit -- Shooting hours.

The maximum daily bag limit for pheasants on shooting preserves is 20 cocks from the beginning of the hunting preserve season through the end of the statewide pheasant season as described in § 41:09:01:03:01. From the end of the statewide pheasant season through the end of the private shooting preserve season, the maximum daily bag limit is 15 cocks. The maximum daily bag limit for wild turkeys is 2 birds.

The shooting hours are restricted to sunrise to sunset each day.

More information on preserve can be found on are website athttp://gfp.sd.gov/licenses/shooting-preserves

Janelle Blaha | Private Shooting Preserve and Permits Coordinator
South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks
20641 SD HWY 1806 | Fort Pierre, SD 57532
605.223.7665 | Janelle.blaha @state.sd.us

Back