NJ F+G to sell Pheasants!

That is neat and at a decent price to boot.

These are some really healthy birds, their nickname is Rockport Rockets, and trust me they've earned it. They love to sprint all out for100 yards then flush, it drives a pointing dog crazy, maybe one of the reasons we went with Springers years ago!

Although this didn't happen and it's well past the season, there is a huge other side to this. According to F&G, the raising of these pheasants is funded directly by the sale of pheasant stamps. In essence, those birds belong to the purchasers of the stamps.

I wouldn't mind the selling of birds if it impacted our hunting experience. Unfortunately this is not the case. The F&G is considering stocking fewer fields and forcing pheasant hunters to crowd in to these areas. Bird flies up, ten shots are heard, and there's no usable meat. It'll affect our younger hunters as well. I'll be taking my kids hunting this year. It's their first year hunting. I'd like them to have a chance to shoot birds.

I think the state is doing an outstanding job raising birds. I hope they continue their great work. Get as many birds out as possible for our younger hunters to hunt. Give them room to shoot safely.

Back