News: CP-33 and birds

SDJIM

Checked yesterday on a rather remote CP-33 planting, it's in it's 4th year and was last sprayed for thistle 2 yrs ago. Here is what I found.

The planting is 120 ft wide with 10 ft tall corn on both sides, THISTLE is a real big problem that will have to be taken care of(sprayed) and there are many stands of wild sunflowers. The grass is up to chin high as I sit on the ATV. The really good news is I would go along for a 100 yards or so and suddenly stop and shut off the ATV--never did flush a bird but as soon as it got quite you should hear them running in the grass into the corn--no need to fly with all the cover and all that corn. This CP-33 runs along the south and west sides of an 80 acre field with corn on all sides of it--gonna be tough hunting until the corn comes in, it could be a really great late season spot

I just can not overstate on how much cover there is this year :D --there has been measureable rain fall on 12 days in Platte --- in AUG. :eek:

Hello Jim,

If you need companionship when you hit the strip this fall you may p.m. me here!:) You have a very good problem to have!:) Thank you for doing something positive for the birds.

CP-33 is a grass buffer strip along a field edge adjoining a crop field that can be up to 120 ft wide its common name is Quail Buffer and it is planted to be a bit more open to enhance quail production--I'm located in the northern range of quail in SD and no we haven't seen any quail here yet--but there is always hope and pheasants love it.:)

very cool jim is that similar to what they used to call soil bank or filter strip? ive seen them CRPor grass bufffers along creeks watersheds cattails & many crops fields but all or most on private lands... i know its a quail buffer & them others buffers were used to help clean the water just curious if its similar or just used for holding game birds...

not far away fro you in NE i have seen & herd many bob white quail keep up the good work jim & one day they may come??? if you build it they will come jim!!! lol

Quail strip are different than filter strips. Quail strips can be planted along any field edge. Filter strips are planted along streams or watersheds. They are also a different mix of grasses. Quail strips are smaller and less dense grasses with more forbes while filter strips contain more dense and taller grasses and less forbes. At least thats how our mixes are. I have over 700 acres of filter strips and quail buffers combined. The filter strips actually aren't that good for the quail unless you mow them after nesting as they are to tall and dense. They love the quail strips however.

Quail strip are different than filter strips. Quail strips can be planted along any field edge. Filter strips are planted along streams or watersheds. They are also a different mix of grasses. Quail strips are smaller and less dense grasses with more forbes while filter strips contain more dense and taller grasses and less forbes. At least thats how our mixes are. I have over 700 acres of filter strips and quail buffers combined. The filter strips actually aren't that good for the quail unless you mow them after nesting as they are to tall and dense. They love the quail strips however.

That's a heck of a lot of filter strips!!

Yeah its just a tad under 10 percent of the farm. There are filter strips along every blue line stream and quail buffers along the edge of most of the fields. I spend a lot of the summer spot spraying trees and noxious weeds in them. I mow patches in all of them the end of August. The quail will actually roost in the mowed strips instead of the taller stuff. Some of the filter strips have been in 15 years and are renewing next year.

thanks for the info fsentkilr very cool thing you are doing on the farm how are your quail holding up good or very poor??? sound like quail turkey & pheasant heaven at that farm!!!

Jim, today's paper said there's still over 40,000 acres still available for enrollment in the programs in SD this year. I hope the PF Biologists and FSA offices can fill them. Thanks for all you do.

Our quail were starting to come back last year, and I have seen more birds this year than in the last 10 years.

Back