Newbie from VA

chewi004

Hello,

I am 26 and just starting to get into upland bird hunting. I live in central VA (Augusta County) where there is little to no upland birds. Few grouse here ans there and that is about it. I am looking into planting some birds hopefully, and I have a hunt planned for this weekend at Deep Hollow Preserve in Mt. Jackson.

I have a GSP that is not quite a year old. She comes from some good blood lines (sired by Brute Force), so the training has been relatively easy thus far. She has been pointing since I first got her, and was actually on birds at just 8 weeks old. I Had her in the field numerous times dove hunting, and we do a lot of practicing. I got her pointing pheasant wings pretty good now. This weekend will be a good test to see where she really is (and where I really am). I am very envious of those who can go out back and hunt wild upland birds!

Below are some pictures of my partner in crime. I really wished i had picked up on this sport much earlier, but guess it is better late than never.

m8i6ua.jpg
[/IMG]

903clk.jpg

Welcome! I am in the same situation as you. I live in Northern Virginia (Prince William County) and it is nearly impossible to get on birds unless you are willing to pay an arm and a leg at a preserve. This is really frustrating for me because I'm from PA and it has really turned into a nice place to pheasant hunt. Hopefully the VA Game Commission does their part to bring back the quail population so we can get on some birds locally. Otherwise, we will have to stick to the preserves, or travel out of state. I think I might get my PA license next year since I can get up to some game lands in less than 1.5 hours. Figured that isn't too bad for a day trip.

You have a beautiful dog, and sounds like you are well on your way to having a great hunting partner. I'm in the process of training up my 6 month old yellow lab. She comes from some pretty good blood lines down by you (Amber Run Kennels, Jetersville, VA). Has made the training a lot easier, but getting her on birds is difficult since it is tough to work out per bird rates from the preserves. Have contacted a few, but gets tough because it is also a business for them. You do any waterfowl hunting with your GSP? Good luck this weekend, and post some pics after the hunt!

Looks like the hunt is going to be a game time decision due to weather. The guy with the birds isn't crazy about taking peoples money and watching them try to jump lazy wet birds, pretty nice of the fella in my book. More to come, but not so hopeful right now.

steelbulle - I do not do any waterfowl hunting with her. She would love to go but I have never been into it. I have some buddies who I will let use her when they go.

Hunter's Paradise - Bath County VA

Finally was able to get on some birds. Spent Saturday at Green Valley Hunter's Paradise in Bath County VA. Great people and awesome country!

14wylo8.jpg

icst1x.jpg

Good stuff! Enjoy the ride with her! She looks like a winner!

Also, 90% of us cant hunt birds out our back door - i watch all of the threads from the guys in the bird belt and shake my head just dreaming...

Back