New Wisconsin Member

Hello everyone. I’m a new guy from the Lake Michigan lakeshore of Wisconsin. I have two French Brittany’s who are wonderful companions and my best friends; they’re very hard hunters and relentless dead bird hunters, but they are more or less glorified flushers as they won’t hold points long enough for me to get there, and if I’m already there when they point, they won’t hold long enough while I jockey into position. Of course they won’t back each other’s points either, but I love them both anyway. I don’t hold their faults against them because I’m no trainer by any stretch, and I more or less take them out because they love it more than anything. Most of my hunting is for grouse and woodcock in northern Wisconsin, but I have friend connections in North Dakota where I’ve hunted ducks for just over 20 years, and now I’m thinking of tapping into upland birds in the Dakotas. So anyway, yeah, I’m looking forward to following the forums and asking some questions here and there.

Welcome T I think you will enjoy this site. I've only been on this site a short time and really like it. Glad you didn't totally blame your dogs for their hunting faults. I've trained my Labs and I know the things they won't do are totally the trainer's fault. I now have a 2yr. old French Brittany. She's a natural pointer and retriever. Took her to Kansas her first yr. Her only experience before this was working with the labs picking up pheasant at preserve tower shoots, found birds never picked one up. And a clean up after a tower shoot, which she did quite well at after I got control of her. She was very enthusiastic. She would find downed birds but not retrieve them. Fixed that this year. Ronnie Smith a well know dog Trainer says for a pointer, you need to teach them three things. Hunt, stop and here. I added a fourth fetch. Good luck with those pups. I love the breed.

Welcome from NW WI. Many ideas, opinions and thoughts on this site. We learn something every day if we pay attention and your dogs will too. Keep on training. Birds, birds and more birds. I have been salmon fishing on your pond since 1980.

Welcome for the Eastern Shoreline of Wisconsin also. We have the two labs sound just like your dogs although the older lab does a wonderful job of pointing and retrieving out younger one will point at times but likes to flush before I get in place. Once again something we could correct with more work but I'm getting to old to worry about it. Had them for a walk yesterday and each dog managed to kick up a rooster. We have some land up North that been in the wife's family for generations I'm going to try that woodcock and grouse this year once with her brother. Other wise its been mostly pheasant hunting and duck hunting. You love the pheasant hunting in North Dakota I get to tag along with a friend of mine to South Dakota every year.

Back