New upland shotgun?

I was recently given a Winchester 101 Pigeon Grade 12 ga and I’m planning on taking it out to chase roaster for the first time in a few weeks. I’m just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the gun or what I should expect out of it?

Bird_dogz

I am looking to buy a new bird gun and have narrowed it down to either a Benelli Ethos or a Berreta A400 Uplander. This will be a gun to hunt wild roosters with but weight is a factor.
What are everybody's thoughts on 12 versus 20 gauge on wild pheasants and any experiences good or bad, with either of these brand
I am looking to buy a new bird gun and have narrowed it down to either a Benelli Ethos or a Berreta A400 Uplander. This will be a gun to hunt wild roosters with but weight is a factor.
What are everybody's thoughts on 12 versus 20 gauge on wild pheasants and any experiences good or bad, with either of these brand shotguns
But what you have confidence in. Both are great guns. There are several 20 gauge loads that have equivalent payloads as 12 gauge loads. The shot is packed into a taller but more narrow column than its 12 counterpart. Thus, choke selection may be different depending on game and conditions. I hunted with 12 for years and switched to 20 last year for upland and ducks. Absolutely zero deficiency. As long as you take the time to fit your gun and pattern your gun at various distances with chokes and loads you intend to hunt with, you’ll realize the 20 is totally capable. Not sure of its a big deal to you or not but one thought I’d that the safety on the benelli is at the back of the trigger guard and the beretta is at the front. One maybe more familiar depending on what you’re already used to using. Good luck!

Wolfchief

I've used both the 12 and the 20 on pheasants but frankly my favorite gauge is the 16. My 2 favorite 16's are my (new version) A5 Browning and my Merkel 1620. Both are in the 6 lb. weight range and both shoot 1 1/8 ounce #5's or 6's nicely. If I had to choose and use only one shotgun for everything from doves to Geese, I'd pick a 12 gauge, probably the new version A5 with the DS chokes.

Chessie 67

Just got one of those myself. I shot some clays with it a while ago and liked it. Very excited to try it on birds. I got the 28” barrel and the gun is quite long, but I think the length is going to counter the super light weight and keep it from feeling “whippy”.

Tbear

UPH Master
20 over a 12 all day long! Lighter gun less fatigue means better shots. Beretta, Benelli, Franchi all make great guns.