New to Florida from UK

Majorgundogs

Having just moved here from England I have a lot to learn. For now I'm just looking for people to train with and pass on some local knowledge. I'm in the Citrus Springs area.
In England I was a trainer for many years and also worked on many shoots, pheasant, grouse, partridge and plenty of duck.
I would eventually like to start training again but for the while just need to get my dogs used to the climate and types of cover.

Welcome.

Not sure what upland game opportunities you will find in Florida. My dogs get hot enough in early season South Dakota weather - can't imagine hunting them in the Florida heat/humidity. Might be some waterfowl opportunities, but watch out for the gators.

I recall when I was in England about 10 years ago the pheasant were thick as blackbirds - crawling all over the place.

I have to be here six months before I can get a hunters license so I'll miss first season anyway. Would like to get into duck shoots for next season , just need to find some locals who can show me the where to go and probably just as important where not to go.

North Yorkshire for the grouse on a moor called Arkleside. West Yorkshire for all other quarry, picked up on one commercial shoot where the bag was 500+. The guns had birds in the sky all day on every drive. I mainly work with Labradors and occasionally my spanners.

Never really got that far North myself. Tried a shoot and found a Labrador in Devon. I do admire the English Springers and Cockers though. If I wasn't so Labrador, I'd have one of those.

Did you have any problems bringing your dogs over? Usually it's only difficult going the other way.

No problem bringing the dogs apart from the cost. A rabies shot, vet passport £150 each. A crate £50 to £100 each and then the flight cost £600 each. At that cost you they should be near the front of the plane with a la carte menu and at least 23kg of luggage allowance.
Labrador or spanner? The personality of a little cocker is amazing with such big hearts and huge courage how could you not like these little dogs. The Springer that will work at 100mph till it drops or the Labrador, reliable steady and great all round dog. All are great in my eyes, it depends what you want to do as to which one you get.

Back