New To California

Pheasant Phill

Hello All,
I am recently new to California and am looking to find some hunting buddies to chase Pheasant & Quail with. I have not hunted in California at all so instead of finding the best places through trial and error I thought it might be good to hook up with some natives. I live in San Mateo now and have an excellent GSP that is 11 years old and still hunts like he was 4. He definately finds the birds. I also just got a new Vizsla puppy and I am looking to get her out for some training this year as well. Anyway I am happy to pay for gas on the way to some hunting location. If nothing else looking for some tips on the best places to get started here in California. Also any upland game open yet worth chasing. Up in WA state Grouse would be open now but they were far and few between. Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to Cali Phil. Mtn quail sesaon opened today in the Sierra Nevadas and blue and ruffed grouse opened as well. Best bets on pheasant will be north of sacramento any where you can get on some land and most of the Nwr hold a few roosters as well. I'm in the central valley so all my spots are pretty far from you but I know there is good quail hunting all over our state. Good luck and I will try to help anywhere I can.

Back