new pup coming home

gsp4life

Getting a new gsp from Westwind gsps from gary in ks. he is meeting me in hays hopefully for a hunt the pup is 8 weeks old and bringing him home sunday. how do you think the older dog will act? Gunner is a little over 2. how do you guys think i should introduce them?

Well by now you should have a good Idea of your dogs temperment, If he is somewhat craby, then take it slow. But otherwise hold the pup and let him sniff him awhile to get to know him some. If there is no reaction you can lower him down and see what takes place. It will be clear pretty darn fast on how they get along. useualy it is OK especialy with a dog that young, they enjoy the play. Good luck

My son got a new pup, and I had to take care it while he was on deployment with the Air Force. When he came into the house, Tony sniffed it and went over and laid in a corner and sulked for about a day. When I put them in the outside Kennel. The pup messed it and Tony put him on his back and had a few words with it. Tony don't mess his kennel. That pup never messed the kennel again. By the time my son got back, Tony had adopted it as his son. When it left and went home, Tony was heartbroken. It took him about 3 days to get back to normal.

well just like i got a GSP pup and had a 6 year old Britanny. I was a litle nervous putting them together but they were best buds from when i put the GSP on the ground.

its truely all about what kind of dog you already have, is he agressive is he laid back, is he protective or friendly. one way to more understand your older dog might be take him to a dog park and see how he reacts to those dogs and that will give you a good idea about how he will react.

I am thinking since gunner is young he will take the new pup as a play mate instead of an agressor but i dont know your dogs.

Both my GSP and Britanny are female so they play bit and fight but never hurt each other. At first the Brit would over power the GSP but now the GSP is 6 months and kicking her butt. Give your dogs time and love and they will get along :) good luck

Crate for Pup

The pup should be crated quite a bit (inside) for easy housebreaking and acclimation which will give both dogs a sense of security while they get acquainted.

I too just brought home a new pup a couple of weeks ago. I currently have a 2 year old female GSP and the pup is now 8 weeks (female). At first my 2 year old didnt want anything to do with the pup, but now they get along just fine. The 2 year is still jealous when the pup sleeps on me etc, but that is expected.

The 2 year old is very timid and laid back so the pup coming in was a nightmare for her. She has acclimated to her, but the funny thing is, I can tell that the pup is going to be the alpha in our house. She is extremely feisty and will run the 2 year old off when they both want the same toy. Its kind of funny, but they both get along, just not best friends like I had hoped.

Back