New Mexico here

DwainV

Hello everyone and merry cristmas. My name is Dwain Im 31yrs and I hunt blues (quail) in southeast NM. My Guns of choice are a Browning 12ga citori superlight feather,and a remington lefthand 11-87 12ga also that i cant hardly put down. My dog black lab 5yr old, but would like to add a vizsla to the crew. And my great hunting partner my 12 year old daughter who has now been twice this year.

Welcome to Uph. Glade to have you on the boards. Tell us more about your Quail hunting in NM.:thumbsup::)

Glad to have you! I hunted around Millensand for quite a while, got scaled and bobwhite in those days. There were a lot! also saw some lesser prairie chickens, but they were usually protected. I heard the quail population is up this year. I might make plans to go that way next year.

I hunt the sand hills of southern new mexico. 98% scaled quail and the occasional bob, the coveys are slim and this year it has been hit and miss for me I have done ok with taking up to six in a day this year to getting a goose egg. I have had some luck getting out and walking when i get to a spot where i see fresh tracks. I see alot of tracks but have not met up with the quail that made them yet.
jmac I notice that you are from arizona do you hunt quail as well?

Yes Sir,

I've been known to hunt quail. Gambels, Scalies, and Mearns. Poor year this year, as the lack of timely rains, affected brooding. There are pockets of good hunting but over all a down year here n AZ.:thumbsup:

It is up compared to last year. last season i never even picked my gun up on opening day! This year i shot six on opening day. So yes the population is up a little If you see four or five coveys a day than you are doing good that is in my opinion. If you are heading this way give me a shout we can do some hunting I am in Roswell NM.

It is up compared to last year. last season i never even picked my gun up on opening day! This year i shot six on opening day. So yes the population is up a little If you see four or five coveys a day than you are doing good that is in my opinion. If you are heading this way give me a shout we can do some hunting I am in Roswell NM.

Will do. I do get over that way a couple of times a year. Check your notifications.:cheers:

Back