New Member. Gun Question

Belo

Hi everyone.

I'm 27, but have been small game and deer hunting most of my young life. I've recently gotten married and moved into my own home an hour away from where I grew up.

this new home has presented itself with some new opportunities for enjoying the outdoors and hunting (my favorite things).

first i'd like to get into turkey hunting as my backyard (woods) is loaded with them, and subsequently the local state park stocks pheasants (i've seen a few hunters take them, and i've seen them in my stand when i bow hunted for the first time this past fall). I thought it would be fun to take my 4 year old golden retriever pheasant hunting.

he's an anally good retriever and loves the woods. I'm sure with a little work i could make him a semi-decent bird dog, and even if i cant, it's some good exercise for both him and I.

Anyhow, I currently own a browning gold semi. amazing slug gun that i use for whitetails as it comes with a rifled barrel. i can only seem to find a 24" smooth bore replacement for it and it appears to be a fixed choke gun and furthermore it'll cost me ~$350 from midway.

money is a little tight (see new home owner and newlywed) and i'd like to buy an as a multi-purpose gun as possible (turkey, field, and maybe even ducks).

thoughts? i was thinking of maybe the mossberg 835 turkey/waterfowl combo. comes with a 24 and 28" barrel and the chokes are interchangeable. shoots 2-3/4 through 3-1/2.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...e/28_w/Accu_Mag_Choke&aID=503I11&merchID=4006

i figure this might not be a bad starter gun, then if i really get into bird hunting i can upgrade later to a nice browning?

thoughts?

Last edited:
Belo,

Welcome to uph. Nothing wrong with mossberg shotguns for starter gun. You might want to look around a little before you purchase one. you may be able to find a used one in good condition, for half of that amount. Or , maybe a used Browing bps or benelli for the same or a little more. Once again Welcome.:)

I actually had a close friend that went through a similar situation. We went to the local gun dealer, and he said that the only problem with mossbergs are the new ones use an aluminum pin on the chamber, which can lead to jamming and breaking, where the remington 870 uses a steel pin. (Pin may not be the right word, but I'm only on my second cup of coffee and stayed up a little late last night:D). I would recommend taking a look at the 870 as well because I know they were offering a rebate which lowered it to aprrox. $300. You may be able to find a cheaper one on gunbroker.com as well. Also, even though you are bargain shopping, and I'm not knocking that at all, that is the only way I shop, try shouldering the guns and making sure they fit right. Good luck.:thumbsup:

wow quick responses on a saturday. Good sign of a well trafficked forum :thumbsup:

i do like the 870's. heard great things. just cant seem to find a combo being offered for the express mag that comes in a camo'd 28 and 22or24 barrel. figured i could save some money going with a dual barrel setup instead of buying another barrel later on.

i dont need camo, but would like that for turkey and duck.

if i can get a good deal on a used browning or binelli i'll be all over that like white on rice for sure. i love my gold. its never steered me wrong with the whitetails.

seems a lot of you guys shoot 20's. Am I alright with a 12?

The gauge of your shotgun is a personal preference. I do everything you name with a 20 gauge. But if you are happy with 12's stay with them. Then too, you could go 20 gauge 870 just so you would have some diversity........Bob

belo,

Bob and vzw, make great points. yes this forum is well traveled. Alot of great people on this sight. please let us know which way you go with your gun choise. :thumbsup:

Belo,

First, welcome to UPH. Lotsa good folks here.

For turkey hunting, get a 12 ga. Many more turkey ammo choices and odds are a cleaner kill too than with a sub ga. Those suckers are tuff birds.

You might be able to find a pre-owned bird barrel for yr Browning on gunbroker.com. I bot my son a Mossy 835 camo and its performed wo/ a hitch on gobblers plus duck and geese. But the REM 870 is certainly a good choice too. Cant go wrong w/ either.

Take yr time, there are alot of gun bargains to be had out there.

NB

There are a lot of aftermarket parts and barrels available for Rem 870's and finding low mileage used ones isn't too hard if you keep your eyes peeled.

So you may be able to make it a combo for a reasonable price by finding a decent used one to start with and then looking for what barrel you would like to make it suitable for your needs.

Also not sure you need 3 1/2 capabilities for anything, but that is a personal preference.

I like my 870's.

If it were me.....

First: I'd search out a bird barrel for your existing Browning. I don't know much about Brownings, my buddy has one, but I can't imagine one isn't available if you know the right place to look.

Second: I'd look for a used 870, be it a Wingmaster or an Express. Pawn shops, around here at least, typically have them for fairly cheap. Therre is none more reliable.

Third: (but admittedly out of your budget) Get a Beretta 391, its the best :)

Finally: I wouldn't worry about 3 1/2", actually would not do that at all unless I lived in the goose pits. I wouldn't worry one bit about camo. I have no camo guns and have killed all you're after just find. If nothing else, take a used 870 and rattle-can camo it for $3.

If it were me.....

First: I'd search out a bird barrel for your existing Browning. I don't know much about Brownings, my buddy has one, but I can't imagine one isn't available if you know the right place to look.

Second: I'd look for a used 870, be it a Wingmaster or an Express. Pawn shops, around here at least, typically have them for fairly cheap. Therre is none more reliable.

Third: (but admittedly out of your budget) Get a Beretta 391, its the best :)

Finally: I wouldn't worry about 3 1/2", actually would not do that at all unless I lived in the goose pits. I wouldn't worry one bit about camo. I have no camo guns and have killed all you're after just find. If nothing else, take a used 870 and rattle-can camo it for $3.

Didn't even think about pawn shops. Sure to be some in there pretty darn cheap, and the rattle can camo can turn out decent if the time is given to do it.

Didn't even think about pawn shops. Sure to be some in there pretty darn cheap, and the rattle can camo can turn out decent if the time is given to do it.

yeah and there's a gun store near buy that sells used. but no offense to the suggestion, i'm not rattle canning my gun.

i'm a country boy, but not a hick.

Back