New in Iowa

RCnIOWA

Just got a place in Iowa, looking forward to some great bird hunting - I've always been more of a deer hunter, so this is going to be new to me. My place has pheasant, turkey and quail, so I'll get a crash course!

The folks that had the place before me were doing things to grow the bird population - not sure that I will carry all of that on to to the extent they did, but will do my best to help keep the numbers up.

Welcome neighbor, what part of the state are you located in? Don't need the gps coordinates, just the general part of the state. Create the habitat and you will attact and grow birds! A little slice of habitat heaven is what most of us want.

How wonderful that the previous owners were trying to cultivate habitat; most places that are currently for sale seem to be cleared for as much cropping as possible.

It will be enriching, perhaps, if in the first several seasons you go out to appreciate the property and the dog work and let the pheasants fall as they may. I mention this because I've been aware of too many new hunters (of all ages) put so much emphasis on getting game that they miss the wonder of the world we walk, and hunt.

Best wishes.

Welcome neighbor, what part of the state are you located in? Don't need the gps coordinates, just the general part of the state. Create the habitat and you will attact and grow birds! A little slice of habitat heaven is what most of us want.
Hi! I am in Davis County - Southeast. How about you?

How wonderful that the previous owners were trying to cultivate habitat; most places that are currently for sale seem to be cleared for as much cropping as possible.

It will be enriching, perhaps, if in the first several seasons you go out to appreciate the property and the dog work and let the pheasants fall as they may. I mention this because I've been aware of too many new hunters (of all ages) put so much emphasis on getting game that they miss the wonder of the world we walk, and hunt.

Best wishes.
Great advice - it'll be a while before I start any serious bird hunting as I get my bearings. Probably just deer this year.

Welcome RC. I used to consider your state my second home. Your county used to have some roosters and some prime quail hunting..

Back