New Guy

Jet

Hello,

Just joined up but I've been lurking around here for a while. I mostly quail hunt(walk) here in SEK but get @ least one trip a year in out west. This year I'm going to be going next week with my two boys(12, 9) for their first pheasant hunting trip which will hopefully lead to me being able to go more often.:) We are planning on heading to the Waldo area and probably staying in Russell. If anyone has any reports from the area, good or bad, or ideas for lodging or food in that area I would appreciate hearing them.
Most all of you seem like a pretty good group of guys with a great forum going and I'm pretty sure I actually know a couple of you personally. I'm looking forward to continuing to read your storys and hopefully having some to share with you as well.

Thanks,
Jet

welcome, good luck, birds are down north of Russell, i know that much from a farmer who i usually hunt on.....you might do better south and west of I-70, but don't go too far south, drought kicks in that direction.

Hey Jet,

I've went out west twice, considered this yr the "scouting" yr and was hoping to make inroads with new hunting grounds as we usually frequent the Dodge area.

Was all around Russell last weekend and gotta say it was not productive. My buddy and I have 3 dogs, hunt hard from sun up to sun down but just didn't hit the mark. We did find some large coveys of quail around Wilson lake area but zilch for phez. However, there are a few here who have had good success in he area your going to. Good luck, anytime you get to take the boys out, you're winning.

Jet I was in the area last year and thought I had it figured out. This year headed out south of Gorham working west. More quail than pheasants. Did alright within sight of the southern Big churches. From the sound of it dozens of big hats running english pointers fared pretty well also. I'd try to see if those boys could get on some private ground in the area. Imo your best bet. Good luck and travel safe.

just go to northwest to pheasant hunt me and a buddy hunted russell area around there and north i hate the area, my first time in the norton area by my self and two dogs killed birds didnt see any quail but guys on here say there getting them but it is awesome pheasant country just keep hitting walk in if some dont work start trying something different

Its a tough year around Russell this year there are some birds but very spotty. Better quail hunting than pheasant. Russell is my main stomping grounds I grew up there and know a lot of people around the area. Pheasants are down 60 to 70 percent from last year and quail are down about 25 percent. Don't get me wrong if you know where to go you can still kill birds. You go to the NW and hit public areas they all have gotten pounded like you wouldn't believe any roosters you find will jump way early. Russell has a lot of snow at the moment and the roads are a mess. I was out there during the storm and many roads were not passable. I was there from Sun to Thur. and you could say I was snowed in at the farm house for a few days they may be better today. I was fortunate that I had permission to hunt the land all around it. I do not hunt on many walk ins but the pressure has not been that bad and there are not that many hunters around. The county to the East Lincoln has excellent quail hunting. If I were you I would give it a try you will find some birds. Well I have rambled on plenty. Good luck and be safe! I will be in the area if your not having any luck get ahold of me. I love to get young kids into birds and let them see the country. There is nothing better to see a kids face when he shoots a bird over point. I get my dogs out every week as I owe it to them for all the joy they give me. As they are my best buds.

Thanks for all the info guys, from the sounds of it we may pass on that area this year and go to an area I'm more familiar with(RushCo) We are not tied into any one area so maybe we'll just keep going NW until we find some birds.

Its a tough year around Russell this year there are some birds but very spotty. Better quail hunting than pheasant. Russell is my main stomping grounds I grew up there and know a lot of people around the area. Pheasants are down 60 to 70 percent from last year and quail are down about 25 percent. Don't get me wrong if you know where to go you can still kill birds. You go to the NW and hit public areas they all have gotten pounded like you wouldn't believe any roosters you find will jump way early. Russell has a lot of snow at the moment and the roads are a mess. I was out there during the storm and many roads were not passable. I was there from Sun to Thur. and you could say I was snowed in at the farm house for a few days they may be better today. I was fortunate that I had permission to hunt the land all around it. I do not hunt on many walk ins but the pressure has not been that bad and there are not that many hunters around. The county to the East Lincoln has excellent quail hunting. If I were you I would give it a try you will find some birds. Well I have rambled on plenty. Good luck and be safe! I will be in the area if your not having any luck get ahold of me. I love to get young kids into birds and let them see the country. There is nothing better to see a kids face when he shoots a bird over point. I get my dogs out every week as I owe it to them for all the joy they give me. As they are my best buds.

exactly theres a reason why people are going to the nw its called up your odds and go where the birds are why go to an area and make it hard you couldnt pay me to hunt that pitiful russell area and i actually killed birds there but it sucks remeber were hunting public walk in lots of guyds dont have access to private so bird numbers on private are kind of irrelevant

RUSSELL PITIFUL ? I'm not on here to argue but that is a very ignorant statement! I know many people that have had very good luck hunting around Russell on public land. You could go to many walk in areas around there and kill birds. To get a good mixed bag there is no better place around. Lincoln county has the best quail hunting in the state. Just because the pheasant are way down doesn't mean there are not any. It was very good pheasant hunting the last couple years and there are still plenty to get your limit. Yes the NW has a lot more pheasants but the walk in land has gotten pounded to death this year. I would rather hunt russell where fields don't get hunted 3 times a day. There are many walk ins around russell you could go to any day of the week and shoot birds.

Two friends of mine hunted around Russel for 2 days last week and shot 13 roosters and 10 quail all shot on WIHA. They acted like they saw birds almost every place they hunted. I am headed back to Ness Wed thru Sunday this week.

RUSSELL PITIFUL ? I'm not on here to argue but that is a very ignorant statement! I know many people that have had very good luck hunting around Russell on public land. You could go to many walk in areas around there and kill birds. To get a good mixed bag there is no better place around. Lincoln county has the best quail hunting in the state. Just because the pheasant are way down doesn't mean there are not any. It was very good pheasant hunting the last couple years and there are still plenty to get your limit. Yes the NW has a lot more pheasants but the walk in land has gotten pounded to death this year. I would rather hunt russell where fields don't get hunted 3 times a day. There are many walk ins around russell you could go to any day of the week and shoot birds.[/QUOTe lol whatever you say i love when the backwoods type get on here and truely tell on themselves of how old they are love it

Back